sheepers 1976 RA23

sheepers

fuel system finished.

so far it doesn't leak much. the first time i pressurised the system it had a hole in the surge tank. so i welded the hole up and at the same time welded some AN fittings on the top to make it all a bit more professional. 

finished and leak free.

16293985839_87fa3ba88f_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

dyno is booked for the thursday the 26th so we can add a bit more poost and see what happens.

• Like 9

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sheepers

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Let's talk about toyo T1R's.

There is much talk about how the tread blocks move around and they feel weird when hot.

I have run multiple sets of T1Rs on the v8 and never found this characteristic but for some reason the same tyre in a different profile (215 45 15 on a 9"rim) felt so bad that I was convinced there tyre shop had not tightened my wheel nuts.

I've never experienced a worse feeling in a way a car changed with the simple addition of a pair of T1Rs on the back.

What I'm getting at I suppose it's it must have allot to do with the sidewall stiffness of the tyre. I put some crappy tyres I had on the car and the difference is night and day. The tyres on the car now are comical in there inability to convert torque to forward momentum but they are 2 billion percent better at going around a corner.

Just some food for thought.

Like I say, I have these tyres on the v8 ands I have never experienced this before.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i bought some leather seats out of a BMW E92 thing.

why did you do that sheepers?

well, i need some seats for the TA23 and i have to cert it so i though i would put some SW20 seats in it because they are pretty good and they suit the car.

what the fuck has this got to do with anything?

I couldn't find any SW20 seats that went fucked and it occurred to me that I've always wanted leather seats. 

so i bought some leather seats for the blue car (this one) and ill chuck the SW20 seats out of this car into the TA23 (the other one)

unfortunately fitting the BMW seats to the blue car isn't straight forward. 

at all.

they are electric and the seat control buttons are on the seat. if you put power to the seat it moves. there is a timer that switches the seat off after a minute or so. there is probably a trigger that we can sort out to stop this from cutting out but for now, if you put power to the seat, it moves.

but to make them fit so they aren't sticking  through the roof they need to mount pretty low.

so low in fact that one of the rails needs to be bellow the floor.

so I've made these frames that bolt to the bottom of the seat. ill recess them into the floor and weld them in. to be fair there is only one point on the inside at the front that needs to go through the floor. the rest of it is above. 

this is the frame sitting on the floor of a celica, you can see the hump that is causing the issue. the frame will recess into this.

23147131051_a41e8da719_h.jpg2015-11-19_08-07-43 by sheepers, on Flickr

22717168448_262b3a98e1_h.jpg2015-11-19_08-07-52 by sheepers, on Flickr

22717258178_1e7839b45f_h.jpg2015-11-19_08-13-16 by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 5

seats. yay.

the BMW seat is lush as fuck. its megga comfy and lush to sit in and its too high. 

the exhaust is approx 3mm away from the seat rail, it aint going any lower in the car but its just too high, the sun visor is now non functioning because I'm so high in the car that i literally can't see anything but bonnet if i put the visor right down, tis gay.

so I've decided to pull the pin on the bimmer seats. 

i ordered a racetech seat instead. didn't know they were NZ made but when i found that out i was sold. i went and tried a couple out thanks to the nice people at Chicane racing something or other and ordered an RT4000W (the W probably stands for wide) which will take 3 weeks to make.

so ill stick that in when it gets here. no idea what imma do with the passengers seat as this stage.

my one will be like this but all black. 

RT4000WX-116(sml)-800x800.jpg

in other news i got a wheel alignment done by the good people at racelign suspension and while it was there i asked them to see if they could see anything that needed attention suspension wise. Ian reckoned most things were good but the rear trailing arm bushes had a bit of movement.

i thought about when they had last been replaced and it occurred to me that they had been in the car since 2001. so i bough some new ones and swapped them out.

the old ones looked fine but with the new bushes holding the diff in place it feels much better in the back end. 

and thats all.

• Like 5

went for a cruse on Sunday with the wonderful Uterus keeping me company for the trip.

we discovered that something is hitting something else under hard acceleration and there was a fuel surge type issue that ive been chasing for a little while not sure what it was.

when we got back Simon went on his merry way and i had a quick peek under the car and found the cause of the issue.

23333901731_102229e95a_h.jpg2015-11-30_08-58-55 by sheepers, on Flickr

the day before i had replaced all the trailing link bushes and it seems that having the diff not flap about caused it to be closer to the floor than it was. i also remembered that ages ago i was chasing a drive shaft vibration (that turned out to be the centre bearing) and we tipped the nose of the diff up to change the pinion angle. that didn't fix the vibration but i never put it back down again.

so ive adjusted the trailing links to tip the nose of the diff back down by about 10mm which should do it, and ive taken the drive shaft out and given it to Aden at Drive Inn services to check it out for me. 

as for the fuel setup, i had plumbed the rail return into the tank, don't want all that hot fuel dumping into the surge tank and making the fuel progressively hotter and hotter. but since ive installed the fuel cooler the temps of the return are pretty low so ive plumbed the rail return through the cooler and into the surge tank. that should take care of the fuel supply issue. i suppose ill find out at the drag day.

• Like 3

after finishing the sunroof patch in the TA23 i put the driveshaft back in this car. Aiden replaced the front cross because it was a bit notchy and it wasn't a genuine toyota one, he also re-shimmed the back uni to take out a bit of play and its fucking magic.

so much better. its like silk. you don't even know your doing a skid. 

choice. 

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

red car got painted the other day so i decided to take a break and work on a different car. this one.

i took the BMW seat out and removed most of the mounting rails that i made for it. (insert picture of floor when next i take to seat out)

then i set about making the race seat fit. it was one of those days where everything fought me, you know, when you should just shut the door and go inside, well it was one of those. also the humidity today was a billion percent which made it worse.

anyway i stupidly kept going and now the seat is in.

i have used the "doubler plate" method to mount 3 of the 4 points but its just wasn't practical to mount the 3rd that way so i made a thing that i welded to the seat support crossmember. there is no fucking way that will break.

23948811310_8cd42ee717_h.jpg2016-01-08_06-31-40 by sheepers, on Flickr

23616175644_00fd3c6187_h.jpg2016-01-08_06-32-03 by sheepers, on Flickr

24244421195_9145c4d952_h.jpg2016-01-08_06-32-21 by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 3