2 cortina problems 1)brakes 2)indicator

Guest AbLaZ3

last week i got backed into and my front right indicator was smashed. since then when i indicate right, the front bulb doesnt turn on and the rear indicator stays on constantly with no flashing. does anyone know the cause of this?

and second, yesterday i drove to work and my brekes were fine, i went to get lunch and my break peddle went all the way to the floor freely and they hardly even work now and i have no idea why. i toped up break fluid to no avail. so i had to drive home on the motorway with fuck all brakes :S very scary. does anyone know what might cause this?

cheers all.

If your fluid's down - they've got a leak somewhere :P they'll be working real crap now coz air would have go tinto the system when the fluid level dropped way down

for the indicator - chuck a new bulb in the lamp that doesnt go. when that's going, it'll likely stop the no flashing problem

easy peasy

brakes: your booster might have shit itself or the shaft going from pedal-booster might have an issue. once i stomped the anchors and the link between the 2 shafts going to the booster broke.. lost all pedal. have a look under there could be obvious.

as far as indicators, take them out and check teh bulb/reflector all that and see whats broken

1. Brakes... if there's no obvious fluid loss, then it is probably the master cylinder seals that have gone. I also once blew out all the seals on a front wheel slave in a panic stop, which is a good reason to think twice about installing a remote servo on a non-servo'd car. If the blake fluid level was extremely low/ empty, then you could well have got air in the system, and you'll need to bleed them to get some feel back. If the servo has gone, then the pedal will just become extremely heavy.

2. Indicator. The resistance of the circuit affects the speed at which the indicator flashes, which is why you usually need to change the flasher unit when you regularly use a trailer. The resistance is provided by the lamp filament, so as the others say, you've lost the curcuit through the front indicator. Whether that's caused by the bulb, connection, earth or whatever, a multimeter should tell you.

re the brakes. there no point bleeding them now as tehre WAS a puddle of brake fluid on the inside of my rim and turns out the cylinder in the hub has shat itself so im replacing both rear cylinders and shoes 2morro so that should be all sorted.

but still havnt fixed indicators, still sourcing a lense at th moment then i guess ill get round to fixing the flashing problem

thanks all for help, will update again soon