cdi ignition

cubastreet

I bought an old cdi unit (capacitor discharge - puts a few hundred volts through the coil instead of 12) off trademe last week and put it in the lancer as that's my daily until i can get the brumby back on the road.

It was running pretty ok before, but a bit rough and gutless even for a 1200 when cold. i put in the cdi unit, regapped the plugs to 1mm and the difference was huge. it runs super smooth even from cold and never misses at any engine speed

the other bonus is that only a tiny bit of power runs through the points so they last about ten times longer.

anyone else tried one out? i've heard they're no good for lean-burn engines but don't spose that applies to many oldskool rides anyhow.

Guest orange_mini

whats the brand and how much did you get it for?

Im looking at getting an MSD unit someday for the B1600 and an electronic ignition kit from philspeed.

Yeah they are heaps better, massive spark, really you could make the gap bigger maybe 1.2mm.

Points are still pretty crap though as at higher rpm than cruising they are inaccurate

it's a heathkit - an american kitset one from the seventies i think. was just $12 but i did have to pull it apart and trace the circuits cos i couldn't find a wiring diagram for it on the net.

i've used http://tinyurl.com/jhgvo on both the engines i converted to lpg in england. cheap and a definite improvement each time. not as good as cdi tho.

jaycar do some electronic ignition kits and also sell hall effect sensors for breakerless conversions but you prolly need to recon your dizzy as well if you really want accurate timing

I got a pertronics electronic conversion kit(replaces points with a module) from philspeed for my gemini. I HIGHLY reccomend it. Never have to bother with points again and the difference was amazing, much smother drive and got a few hps out of it too, Phill was really helpful also, (Stayed true to a quote post the NZ Dollar crash) http://www.philspeed.co.nz

Guest orange_mini

yeah i'm saving my ten cent coins to buy one of those kits off Philspeed, might get one for the ute and the mini. 200 or less i think they are