VN Commodore (I know...)

v3k

Hello,

Just thinking about doing some stuff on the commy and was wondering if anyone here knew of anyone who has a workshop manual (or know a place where I can download one).

I know I should stop being a tight arse and just buy one, but I'd rather not spend the cash at this point...

Im mainly aiming this square at sykoV6.... i believe you got rid of your SS. Didnt happen to have a useful book did you ?

the only thing it 'needs' at the moment is a gearbox oil change. No biggie, I can sort that out (although would need torque specs for the bolts) But there are a few other things that I might be interested in doing.

like.. decarbonising the engine, changing the lifters/injectors as one of them is quietly ticking at idle. General mechanical tidy ups.

Its going to be parked up a bit (Im moving to within walking distance of work) and I thought it might be a good time to go over it with a critical eye and sort things out and would like a reference point.

I was just sorta trying my luck here, I'll probally just buy one next pay day (damn monthly salary).

how many ks has it done? most holden v8s usually due for a cam change at about 250kms depending on how its been driven. they get noisy, if u change the lifters and the cam is worn the new lifters will wear into the cam quickly and begin rattling also. run some injector cleaner through it they get a varnish like build up on them and cuts down their efficentcy. what bolts are ya talkin about to change oil just requires undoing of bottom bung draining and refilling from side bung then do both up tight. [make sur u do the bottom 1 up b4 u refill] :lol:

The tranny is a TH700 - I was looking on the net for the 'correct' procedure (and under the car) looks pretty snug on sides of trans and most info on net says to change its oil you take the trans pan off (refil through dipstick :( 5L of tranny fluid!). - Those are the bolts I was refering to.

As for the cam being noisey... I think I'll let it tick then! Dont really feel like getting a new cam for it. (its done 280000kms by the way!)

sorry bro thought it was 5spd. yeah th700 are cunts. best trick is to undo bolts from back first and slowly lower the back down draining oil as u go. its fuckin messy. when u get pan off take it to an engineer an get him to weld a drain in it. i did that on my torana just makes it alot cleaner. dont forget to change the filter too. dont do bolts up too tight otherwise u will squash the cork gasket and it will leak thjere are some new rubber ones out there just ask around for best advise

on a slightly different subject...

I think the last owner sort of was lax in relation to oill changes... The rocker arms etc are covered in black deposits. Will frequent oil changes remove this slowly? or do I need to run an oil flush before the next change? or take the rocker covers off and get cleaning?

I have contemplated using some sort of engine clean stuff but have heard stories of them dislodging big chunks of crud that clog oils lines etc and consiquently starve your engine of oil in some important areas..

Opinions?

that it , more detergents because diesel naturally has more carbon in it so u need more shit to clean it with , wont do fuckall to the motor as far as i know , but say u have worn rings etc it might remove a bit too much carbon increasing blowby etc