Roll cages and prices

Gaz

mate from works cage in his rx 3 goes thru parcel tray and on to boot floor behind wheel centre line. the cage has been homoligated and the car is certed. the other thing is that if u have a cage u have to remove the rear seat for it to be legal. somthin to do with rear seat passenger safety.

Sweet. Those pics are really good info. Where they from?

I kinda want a cage and kinda dont. I see it as almost pointless when running a street car that will onlt be on track less than once a year.

Cage spec's for NZ Motorsport Regs are within the schedule A document:

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Pdf/M33%20App2%20SchA.pdf

If you are only intending to do track work once a year, a cage is a waste of time. To use the car on the road and keep your Motorsport Authority Card alive, the vehicle must appear at 3 events.

Motorsport Authority Card gives to the ability to pass WOF's with rollcage, harnesses, lexan windows, and exemption from the interior impact requirements of a standard WOF'd car.

The other thing to consider with a cage...

For a road car, a cage is potentially a killer, typically the rollcage will intrude into the air space that your head may require for movement in case of an accident. The rollcage padding is designed to work in conjunction with your crash helmet, if you aint wearing a helmet there is a fairly good chance of doing some skull damage regardless of having rollcage padding.

Sweet. Those pics are really good info. Where they from?

I kinda want a cage and kinda dont. I see it as almost pointless when running a street car that will onlt be on track less than once a year.

Cage spec's for NZ Motorsport Regs are within the schedule A document:

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Pdf/M33%20App2%20SchA.pdf

If you are only intending to do track work once a year, a cage is a waste of time. To use the car on the road and keep your Motorsport Authority Card alive, the vehicle must appear at 3 events.

Motorsport Authority Card gives to the ability to pass WOF's with rollcage, harnesses, lexan windows, and exemption from the interior impact requirements of a standard WOF'd car.

The other thing to consider with a cage...

For a road car, a cage is potentially a killer, typically the rollcage will intrude into the air space that your head may require for movement in case of an accident. The rollcage padding is designed to work in conjunction with your crash helmet, if you aint wearing a helmet there is a fairly good chance of doing some skull damage regardless of having rollcage padding.

Just to add, there are regs in schedule A that cover the type and location of padding required (by law) for the cage to be safe, i think someone earlier was talking about getting some from para rubber, which is fine, as long as it meets the appropraite approval for impact, i think it's an SFI standard from memory.

Aside from being a killer the novelty of driving a car on the road with race seats and rollcage very quickly becomes an absolute pain in the ass, things like not being able to look over your shoulder, not being able to see through the rear view mirror due to the tangle of bars behind you, not to mention the (at least) 4 point harness that you have to do up and adjust everytime you get into the car.

Is this the same when dealing with 1/2 cages?

I think you will find this depends on the cage itself, you may have to register/certify the car as a 2 seater, but so long as the half cage is unlikely to cause injury to the occupants then I cant see why you would have an issue.

Personally I cant see much point in a half cage. It does FA for vehicle strength/flexibility, and while it may stop a full roof cave-in in a rollover, it isnt going to protect the occupants like a full cage.

If it was my car, I'd rather have the anti-intrusion, and the forward members of a roll cage. Most race tracks out there have an awful lot of concrete walls and armco, which are generally more robust than panel steel when hit at speed.

yeah thats true but i think id still rather have a half cage than nothing if ya fliped it on its lid :lol:

Have a look at survivable (non caged), road rollovers, In my opinion most cars ar strongest through their B and C pillars, the weakest pillars are generally the A pillar. In most cases the roof will collapse at the front rather than the rear.

The main advantage of the half cage is for older cars where there are possibly hidden structural "issues".

I'd be a starter for a half cage in a early convertible, if you look at most of the convertibles from the 60's the windscreen is a bolt on affair, and I rather have the protection for my head.