Gearbox crossmember problems

crazy_rich

You must consider that if you solid mount the gearbox you will also need to solid mount the engine if you want it to pass certification.

yeah, i read up on that yesterday, I wasnt serious about solid mounting anything, it'd just be a cop out. probably snap the poor old capri aswell.

Hey. Just incase you were still considering bushes etc. There is a place in Sydenham that makes components out of all sorts of plastic and stuff. I went there to grab scrap for a uni project a couple years ago.

They can machine Polyurethane bushes (Nolathane). It's machineable if you freeze it. Because they pretty much make the stuff I'm sure you could work something out with them.

Problem - I can't remember the name or even the street. All I can remember is it was in the Waltham, Moorehouse, Gasson or is it Carlyle, Brougham grid. Drive around that area and it's on one of the corners. Was a white shop with a couple car parks in front.

Mean Capri!!

hey rich ya cars cummin along sweet,looks good. i think that raising the tunnel would b by far the best option. theres nuttin worse on a low car than hittin the ground or always worrying about sumpthin hitting. cut out the tunnel and get a sheet metal man to roll ya up a new one. i made a cardboard pattern for the corty got all the shape right then took it to a dude to cut out and roll to the correct shape got it home and migged it in . easy, sweet and heaps of clearance. then ya should b able to use your original c/member modded to suit at the correct height

the man problem i have with raising the tunnel is that i want to keep the standard centre console, so the car looks standard on the inside (apart from the seats, no headrests on a car like that is just suicidal) so i think im gonna have to be quite strategic about how to go about cutting it up. she'll be right though. how hard can it be? :wink:

the lexus has over double the power to the standard engine, and only weighs in at an extra 8kg more than the v6 which means its going to be really easy to set up to make it handle, as i can use the research put into v6 race cars etc. a 351 would probably twist my chassis as well.

The ultimate goal is a twin turbo mondeo v6 but thats the long term (i'll need a retirement project)

the lexus @ 180kgs is about the same weight as a 289/302 windsor but a far more refined and powerful than a stock 302 which in 1968 was about 200hp so the lexus @ 190kw is an obvoius choice a bit trickier to fit though. got that diff in yet?. hey is your motor a fairly early one? the ones ive seen dont have the dissy on the front corner like yours they just have a coil on the plug so no leads .

http://www.fixrambler.com/art62.html

Windsor weighs 208kg. lexus is 180kg (i checked it on a scale)

my lexus should be even lighter, doing away with the bulky intake system.

i'm not too sure how old my engine is. it has 2002 written on the leads, supposed to be a good indication, but i doubt it. they normally have plastic covers over the dizzy/ leads etc (removed because im gonna make something shiny to take their place) and it has 2 coils that bolt on to the block. the later vvti ones have individual igniters on the plugs and a different intake setup. havent got round to putting the diff in, i'll get it all sorted with the panard rod, anti tramp stuff when the cars in at the panel shop getting the sills done, guards welded back on etc. too much bloody work to do. hah c ya