starter motor trouble i think...

snake

i've had the battery out of the car for about 3 weeks while i got a new pan and mounts sorted, caused they rusted away, but now when i've put it back in the car wont even begin to crank over

i can hear the pump in the tank ticking so thats not the problem

but i cant hear the starter motor or the solinoid

i tried to jump start the car incase the battery had lost charge but it didnt work

ive heard before that if the solinoid dies the starter wont get any power

will the starter be fucked or could it just be the solinoid?

(or something else)

is there any way to test it?

the engines the original L26 which has just clicked over 90 thousand

Any idea if its a common fault?

thanks in advance

cheers guys

:oops: i just read what i posted yesterday

i cant believe i thought it was something other than the starter/ solinoid

i spent like half an hour in the rain going over the dizzy

being tired/hungover and working on cars doesnt mix

Silly question time.......

Have you checked the engine earth?

The reason why the rest of the electrics work except for the starter, is the body earth is okay....the engine earth being cactus will mean you are trying to start the money using a choke or accelerator cable etc....not too flash.

How many spade terminals are on the solenoid, and if there are multiple are you plugged onto the correct one?

The Bimmers and my old Hunter have a additional spade connector on the solenoid, it is a straight battery feeder for feeding power to engine components. If you have plugged onto this nothing much will happen when you flick the key.

The other alternative is the battery could have a dead cell, the battery might have enough ergs to run the easy stuff, but when the load goes on like the starter motor, it craps itself. A test for this could be to see what the headlights look like....if they are crap then I'd be checking out the battery.

Have you checked the engine earth?

nope, ill have to check that on wednesday. that actually seems to be the most likely reason as everything was fine a few weeks ago and i may have disconnected it

How many spade terminals are on the solenoid, and if there are multiple are you plugged onto the correct one?

i havent touched the solinoid yet so it shouldnt be anything like that

The other alternative is the battery could have a dead cell .

then it would start when i jumped it, wouldnt it?

chur

The other alternative is the battery could have a dead cell .

then it would start when i jumped it, wouldnt it?

chur

Not always. The jumper leads charge the battery but often can't flow the kind of current required to actually turn the car over so if the battery is completely stuffed it still won't start. I've only found this with the gay spike-proof jumpers tho.

Just try the screw driver across the starter. If that doesn't start then check earths. If it does start replace solinoid. If that doesn't fix it you have some gay arse electrical problem :? hah