5k upright

Guest ke35coupe

Guest ke35coupe

what needs to be considered when standing a 'k' series motor upright? how is the twist in the gearbox and consiquent movement of the gearstick delt with?

Guest ke35coupe

not at all, its a compliment! haha but standing a k-series upright? fairly standard procedure i thought, good 4 about 15hp+, just never had a chance to talk to anybody whose done it directly

how's it make an extra 15 horse? I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference.

to do that you have to mod the sump, oil pickup, engine mounts, exhaust/headers, probably your radiator hoses, blah blah blah.

I know some race dude do it but i thought that was aminly to get them into smaller spaces in offroaders and shizzle...

For those who don't see the benefit, it is a race only mod as that is the only place the gains are worth it. Gives more room for longer runners on a sidedraught setup and a straighter path into the head along with a few other benefits. TRD used to supply a kit for this setup many years ago.

Callum

thought it must have been for manifold design :)

for the work involved, I'd rather mount up a 4age, same work (mounts, manifolds, exhaust) for more gains and potential, as you've gotta get custom/different manifolds to reap the benefits from a k series anyway, 4age on carbs would be as easy, can keep k series box (use k50 from an ae85 or similar (easy to find, cheap as chips), and so much more masty factor than a 5k if that's what this guy is after, even if it's just on carbs :wink:

Guest ke35coupe

i simply would'nt bother if the power gains were not worth it, just used to work with a guy that raced 4k's and insisted they should be stood upright. dont know where he is now so thought id ask the wider audience