water pump

davidian

ok what im wondering is how long can you run your car for on a blown water pump untill you do major damage to the motor?

wasw driving the car in the weekend when it started spluttering and missing like a really bad fuel mixture or timing waaay out or something, ran like that for about 150-200m before slowing itself down to a stop. pulled the pump off as it was pissing water/antifreeze out of either the pump or the gasket between the pump and block.

also, is there a way to chek the water pump? it seems fine and less than year old, but is there a def way of cheking?

ta

water pumps are driven off the engine so yeah- only thing that will cause damage to and engine through a water pump is if the water is pissing out so much as to runout, or not be pumped around the galleries, therefore overheating it. Mini survived for more than a year before I bothered buying a new one, so long as you keep tabs on the water level, and temp level then you'll be sweet.

as long as u want ...until of course the bearing complelty shits itsefl and u see the gauge go from norm to HOT in about 10 seconds .....that happened to me i ran the esky for 10 min after the water ran out ...admittidly the engine was just about on fire but its started up after that ....so to be honest fix it ..it cost between $50 to $100 to get it done and can save u big bucks from a warped head or such ...just my input

mongol

hmm true yeah i will fix it.

went to repco and some old cunt started giving me a lecture , he's like "we got 2 types, one is $90 and the other is $180. yours is likely to be the $90 one but no repco in the country stocks them, you should go to Autoclutch and get one as they deal with old and obsolete pumps"

?

"muthafuka youre the obsolete one round here"