Changing cambelt on pinto

Stacov

well that was a waste of time got it all put back together starts fine but the same thing happens as last time that made me think it was the cambelt

the cambelt slips off the dizzy pulley and moves forward/backwards

so like it goes half off then back on its beyond me and doesnt matter what the tension setting is it still does it now this has just pissed me off. AND i dont want it anymore lol

any ideas on what can cause this?

Sounds like it's not lined up properly?? I don't see how it can slip off.. can you post a pic?

Yeah Sierra brakes can be made to fit. I'm assuming you're talking about a disc conversion on the rear? You have to make up brackets to hold the callipers though. I used to have a link on how-to for that.. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Hey RT i think i found the problem. The tension idle bearing? I think thats what its called. Anyways its meant to spin and control where the cambelt goes i think. The bearing in it is worn as it doesnt even turn. So the cambelt just rubs on it and goes all over the place on the pulleys

I took it off can turn it by hand but it doesnt move freely and it makes scraping noise.

im pretty sure this is causing all my problems what ya think ?

Hmm well im just putting the belt on my pinto now too.

But im having a major problem getting the cam timing setup properly, like it will NOT line up. It either sits about 8 degreees advanced or 8 degrees retarded :?

Ive had the head skimmed 60 thou and I was thinking this might have something to do with it :?:

Anyway, ive heard you can have the cam timing slightly advanced/retarded to get more power on a pinto? but with that much taken off the head that probably wouldnt be a good idea, as piston to valve clearances could be getting abit close aye?

Hmm well im just putting the belt on my pinto now too.

But im having a major problem getting the cam timing setup properly, like it will NOT line up. It either sits about 8 degreees advanced or 8 degrees retarded :?

Ive had the head skimmed 60 thou and I was thinking this might have something to do with it :?:

Anyway, ive heard you can have the cam timing slightly advanced/retarded to get more power on a pinto? but with that much taken off the head that probably wouldnt be a good idea, as piston to valve clearances could be getting abit close aye?

not sure aye i had the same problem everytime i tighten the cambelt it would move the cam away from its timing marks, but when i started the engine went first pop sounded/idle alright

im sure RT will beable to help ya goodluck bro :)

ahh hours lost on simple things i know how ya feel

im not even sure if my timing is bang on but i bet its pretty close aslong as the car pulls hard and can poor smoke off them tyres should be sweet :D

ur engine might be modded more then mine so i dunno about ur timing hell i dont even know what mods have been done to mine lol

apart from a lumpy cam aftermarket flattops, larger oil garlerys thats all i know sucks buying engines off other people heh head looks abit different to normal ones too so maybe work done to that rofl

i was just thinking if u move the arrow on the cam alittle bit past the hole then tighten the cambelt is should move onto the hole and be bang on was just thinking about.

u tryed that?

just a update

everything is now a GOGO

put a new tensioner pulley on and now its all sweet, also put on the cam cover just incase it ever did decide to come off it would get hit back on hehe

now for brakes, exhaust, and fix the electical problems and she should be on the road haha maybe in a year :P