removing surface rust

Dutch

I thought you had some rust in the front guards too did you get that fixed or am I seeing things It was dark when I saw your car :wink:

it does, lost of it but i have spare ones so that'll be fine. also, its not srtuctural so it doesnt matter for a WOF :P

I thought you had some rust in the front guards too did you get that fixed or am I seeing things It was dark when I saw your car :wink:

it does, lost of it but i have spare ones so that'll be fine. also, its not srtuctural so it doesnt matter for a WOF :P

Hehehehe, nobody can see my rust in the guard. I used a half tin of bog on it, still gotta touch up a couple places though. Gonna do some more bogging today actually.

Guest Eddie W

Dutch, etch primers like PA10 are formulated to etch a key in the metal surface for a better bond to the metal. As I said above the etch effect only works properly with a light first coat. Once the first coat has done the keying then subsequent coats can be as thick as you like.

Eddie

• 1 month later...

Ok, I knew there was a page here.

I got sick of waiting and became inspired to attack my rust myself. I have metal based bog, disk for drill, spray primer and spray on paint. I've heard you have to let the rust dry completely before taking it off? Is rust kill and etch primer essential? I'm also knew to this and need help. Cheers

Yea bo, its best to let the rust dry before going at it, just makes things easier thats all.

Youll want to grind it all off, or as much as you can, depending on where it is and stuff. Try to get the whole area down to shiny bare metal, but if you cant then youll need to spray on some of that rust kill stuff.

Its best not to bog straight onto bare steel, so etch prime it first, then bog it, then prime with normal primer and then paint :wink: