Mini mods.

Guest dreadedretard

Guest dreadedretard

Steering wheels and boss kits are so hard to find cheap ay.. brand new they r like..... $170-$200.. its nuts i want one for like $60.... pretty shitty really.. oh and do you know who to PM about oldschool.co.nz banners? I NEED ONE FOR THE MINI!!! and could u keep an eye out for some mags?

The wheel I had didnt have a separate bosskit, it was all one unit, was a period one and I think I paid $150 for it in brand new condition.

I wouldnt bother with a quick shifter, the gearshift is something you get used to, pretty much all old cars are the same. Quickshifters are pretty hard on parts of the gearbox too, itll wear out quicker. If you want you could cut the gearleaver down abit depending on where you find it comfortable, I never bothered.

Inidividual engine mods on their own wont get you huge increases. Youll get good percentage gains but going from 45hp to 50 despite being over 10% will barely be noticable. To get a really fast mini youll need to rebuild the motor and do alot of things, pretty much minimum of 1275cc or bigger, cams, carbs, exhaust, headers and you wont do that for $900 unless you can do it all yourself and even then itll be a push.

What are you looking for out of it? If its just a cheap old car you want to go fast in a straight line there are better starting cars, if so just tidy it up and leave it while you save for something better. Just remember if you perservere with it youll spend thousands and still have a relatively slow car

Oh and if you think thats dear for a steering wheel I paid $470 for the one on my honda, and that was still less than retail

Guest dreadedretard

:o:O for a honda :o:O thats nuts id never pay that ay... but im a bit of a tight ass. I just want a nice run about that sounds cool and looks real random and different but still a mini. Im not going after a fast mini just a nice lil car which i can love:D

for the moment im just gonna clean up the engine bay and do some detailing with the olive green on bits and pieces and a little bit of chrome.

just get it a nice show condition.

• 1 year later...

If you plan it right you should be able to get a 1275 motor in there pretty dam cheap. I sold a mean one a few years ago for 300 bucks. I know prices are probably up a bit now but there are bargains out there. Just for now tho, pulling the motor out of a mini is very easy! If you can be bothered take it out to clean it, then paint it up with heatproof engine paint. Paint things like the starter motor and manifold as well (maybe in a different colour), and in no time your engine will look stunning. I would show you a pic of the one I did (cost me $10 for a chrome rocker cover and $50 in paint and degreaser) but I only have it on a video. Basically I wouldnt bother with engine mods on a 1000cc as they are hard to make fast. A carb and extractors is about it if you are on a tight budget. Good luck tho. if you are in wellington gimme a shout and I might come give a hand...