Flame throwers

Guest tj

Hey, Im keen on putting a flame thrower on my esky, any precautions i should know about?? No way in hell im paying 200 buks for a proper kit.... home made :D But yeh i work at bbq factory and hav plenty of bbq ignitors available to me. Any tips or anything i should know so i dont blow my motor or myself up????

just about the fuel tank thingy, i might just've been lucky but i had a 81 laser and my exhaust was snapped in halve right underneath my fuel tank :) this might not realy matter too much but it backfired like a mother f*cker :shock: i drove around like this for at leas 4 months and nothing ever happend

Guest devious1

all they are is a coil, a short h/t lead hooked up to a spark plug in the tail pipe all hooked up to a switch, for a car with a mechanical fuel pump the hardest bit is welding a nut on the exhaust pipe to thred the plug in to, but for a eletric pump you need to be able to switch the spark in the cylinders off then back on so it keeps pumping gas.

Just make sure you put it at the end of the exhaust or it will blow mufflers apart ( about 70 or 80 mm from the end is good ) Make sure your tail pipe clears the body ( will burn paint off ) and that you have enuf thread for the plug to go in to ( they will blow out )

hey man.

we found it easier... my rellie is a gasfittert and all we did was hooked up a bit of 15mm copper pipe bent into an L shape one end is welded shut the other end is hooked up to a 2kg camping gasbottle. u drill like 5 holes in the piece of pipe, then put a bbq sparker (piezo lighter) at one end. solenoid valve (avaliable from coachbuilders) lets gas into plemnum, sparker goes off and the flame shoots out.

ill put up a drawing of what i mean later on.

any qs pm me and ill explain better

no, this is a standalone unit.

this means that you dont have the unpredictability of the exhaust gasses containing any unburnt gasses and also means that it wont blow back at all.

haha yeah fair enough.

we had the one on my minx underneath the number plate on a lever so you could pull the plate up and scorch the poor bastards walking across the road at the lights.

• 3 weeks later...

Theres another way, make a switch in one of your HT leads leading to a engine spark plug so that you can switch power between the cylinder spark and the exhaust spark, that way your car will momentarily run on 3 cylinders, guaranteeing there will be unburnt gas coming down the line,

other thing to do would be to build it the way Devious1 described and just pull the choke out when u wanna light it up.