crank bolts

davidian

ok so heres the problem.. took the old 5 spd out of the escy on saturday to replace the clutch. as the gearbox came off it somewhat confused me not to see the flywheel remaining there. in fact it came off in the gearbox due to broken (all 6) crank bolts which are still half in the crank.

Has anyone had this shit happen to them and how to go about it??

Ive been told that there is a tool (easy out) to take them out and i dont want to take the motor out, and there is enough room under the car to work...

any help? cheerz

bugger....yeah it can happen. Especially if you're running big power/torque....or the bolts weren't done up the the correct torque settings which is often the case.

Some people use extra dowls in the crank and flywheel to strengthen this... but I'm sure it's not neccessary. I've never done it and I've got a fair amount of grunt travelling through mine. How you drive it also has an effect I guess.

Yep, you need an esay-out you can get em for mitre10 cheapas. It screws into the bolt and reverse's it out. Make sure you get the right size.

Then when you put it back on make sure you use the correct torque settings and use a decent torque wrench. Often it feels like it's not done up tight enough and it's tempted to turn it more....but don't. :D

cheers RT, im gonna have a look how much the easy-out costs. Are there any other bolts that i can use that are stronger than factory stockers? as long as its same lenght/thread? i also need to get a mean drill bit to drill the bolts for easy out, dont want any drillbit snappage in there!

easyouts are like a couple of bucks...

Don't know of any stronger bolts. ARP may make some...

unless you're running like 200+hp and were worried you can get it dowled to the crank.

But seriously, it's not the weakness of the bolts but the incorrect tightness that snaps em. I bet they were too tight and as they expanded with the heat the would have stressed out....coupled with a hard launch or burnout and snap!

not too different getting 1300 and 1100 pistons i dont think. maybe a bit more compression with the 1100 ones tho?

screw both options man, work the head like mad.. then chuck in some o'size pistons, grind the crank and cam, and youre away... and maybe, just maybe, if you do it right you get to snap some CRANK BOLTS!!! :evil::x

Guest WESTCORT

im putting 1100 pistons in the 1300 raises compression to about 10.7:1 thats why im after somewhere to get some stronger ones rather than standard ones.

Guest Jamezuu

If you go into somewhere like supercheap or butlers and ask if they can get in special items for you, they will most likely be able to source it from their suppliers. My friend got some forged pistons for his 1600 from butlers. fucking expensive thou.

Did the bolts snap or did the bolt-heads shear off ?

Cos if the bolt heads are all clean off then it's cos they were done up too tight. I just torqued on a flywheel tonight and you'd be suprised how little you really tighten them up, same with the clutch...

nah bo. the bolt itself is snapped. the top half is still in the flywheel/clutch as i havent been back to the old ladys place to pull it apart. the remaining bolts in the crank are snapped clean, pretty much flush in the hole with the surface of the crank.