1956 British Seagull - Hipster Motorboatin'

GARDRB

Ok soooo, I have a v8 Corolla project that's been off the road since 2010, a Lifan go-kart project, and a couple of later model Corollas sitting in the driveway to tidy up and sell among many other things so I decided that grown-up thing to do would be to buy another project. This one is 2-stroke, something I know a whole lot less about, and as old as my Mum. Dad is a boatbuilder, so it was much easier to get him on board for this project, and he's even let me store it in the woodworking shed. 

The guy selling it priced it based on what he'd seen a fuel tank listed for on TradeMe. The motor turns over by hand, but the prop doesn't turn, and it sounds like it's a shaft rust issue. I'll dig into it at some stage, but for now creating a thread on here was much more exciting than actually working today. 

I see the Seagull Barrys race them, so it might be a good chance to buy a silly little boat to put it on.

IMG_3291.thumb.jpeg.100c7fb0f38afe61781e5ce265918f33.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

How it started ^^^

vs how it's going

So I mentioned to Dad that we needed to get the leg off to see if the driveshaft was rusted. I didn't mean now. Dad decided now was a great time. So we've spent however long it's been between that post and this post pulling it apart. We've split the top of one flat head machine screw, broken a bolt, scooped out a couple of cups of this weird shell/grease mix, poured the driveshaft out as a fine powder of iron oxide, and now we're trying to work out how to remove the machine screw with the broken head to release what I'm gonna call the pinion gear. 

IMG_3294.thumb.jpg.0563ace6752b74c409766bb208783871.jpgIMG_3293.thumb.jpg.8f305e98ea268e14192c4d82c423c5d0.jpgIMG_3292.thumb.jpg.eea16f731bf546e6a3826abc2c645f20.jpg

• Like 9