Column shift G52 reverse missing

ajg193

Hilux has developed a fault where reverse doesn't exist. Shifter feels like it is hitting a wall/lockout.

If you try enough times it does eventually go in. No grinding or anything that would be associated with a grabbing clutch. All other gears select easily

The link bushings are all relatively new.

Has anyone on here had this problem before? Perhaps a sticky fifth gear lockout? Otherwise I'll start digging into it this evening.

Fixed it.

The linkages have just worn to the point that the gear selection was too far towards the dash and the shifter couldn't move far enough 

I just adjusted one of the shifter rods to pull all the gears closer to the driver (red). Now shifts beautifully

1653082867_IMG_20210927_1738458572.thumb.jpg.1c286a4a6e30600c2eacfa1c6f04f8b8.jpg

Just used a 24 mm socket to loosen the clamp nut and pulled the rod up about 10 mm

• Like 5

Main things that affect how sloppy the gear selection is are the rubber bushings at the pivots and the pivot where the bellcrank (https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/3353535100 ) rubs on this part (https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/epc/toyota-japan/hilux/YN86/178284/chassis/3311/33711 )

I just turned up a sleeve for the bellcrank to reduce the clearance, no noticeable wear after a year and a half of use.

There are a shit load of bushes to wear in the mechanism though, so it could well be worth doing everything. I'd imagine the shifts to be pretty precise once it's all done. It's a shame that the balljoint links are discontinued.