Jump to content

F-Series IRS Camber issues.


AA63-GTR
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I have returned from a long break under a new username ( due to forgetting my prior details :/)

I still have my Carina GTR coupe that made an appearance at 2010 old school nationals, and due to no parts, too many projects in between and hectic work schedule, has been an extremely slow project ever since. I'm almost at the cert stage with it but need some info from anyone who has done the F-Series camber mod, I did a search and found @dspec_tt131 has done it kinda recently, but didn't give a whole lot of info on it.  So please chime in if you see this mate.

Bascially just want to know from those that have been through this, if you used a kit or made it up yourself, any issues you had and if it was worth doing, and better still, if you can do mine for me!!$$

This is pretty much my last hurdle to avoid cert issues with this thing so any help is much appreciated, really want to get the old girl back on the road! 

Cheers in advance guys and girls.

Kane

dsc01194.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey man, I did it twice. Both times with the BMW camber bolts then slot the holes. There’s not much more to it than finding the part number for the bolts (like it’s been over 10years so I don’t know). Talk to the cert guy as you kinda want to beef up the area and make guides for the bolts to make it all smick. Also if it’s super slammed it may not get you back to where it needs to be, mine maxed out still had a few degrees from memory.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im the guy who done the modifications  to @dspec_tt131 subframe. I also done my own subframe at the same time. I made up a new bracket using the bmw bolts for adjustment. Although this works fine it doesnt give alot of adjustment because of the cam size. Another thing to keep in mind is your toe when the car is lowered. You can move the outer mount backwards by around 5mm to fix the toe problems and have plenty of adjustment left on the inner mount.

If i was to do it again i would change the outer bushes in the arm itself to take the same diameter bolts used in the inner mount. 

Heres a photo, both subframes passed cert no worries. 

IMAG4805_copy_1168x816.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers guys, I actually have a subframe that's been modified with bmw camber bolts, however this doesn't fit into my car. I might see what I can do with the mounts off that one. Nice work on that one @Barnz.NZ. Might have to try this as even if I can't wind as much camber out as I want, i'll be able to cert it lower than doing nothing I suppose. In the pic (looking at the bottom mount), did you just cut if off flush and keep the lower part in there? where its welded to the end tube and attach the new part to that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cut the entire mount off the subframe, this was a pain in the ass. Took alot of drilling and cutting to get it off. I then used the arms to locate the new bracket.

The good thing about making bew brackets from scratch is you can choose where the slot starts. I think my new slots started about 8mm lower than the original one. Instead of just slotting from the original hole position. 

Heres a couple more photos.  

IMAG4779_copy_1168x816.jpg

IMAG4785_copy_816x1168.jpg

IMAG4809_copy_1168x816.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

So I did this in a rush a few months ago, I used BMW e36, or E46 rear camber bolts. I cant remember what ones specifically, but I do have spares so I can measure them for you.
that way you'll get the right ones first time round.

I got some box section to make my insert plates. I think it was 40mm from memory. and it was a prefect fit for the eccentric washers.
Using the perpendicular walls of the box as the guides for the eccentric to run on.  I cut the factory bracket locally; just where it needed to allow my plate to sit flat on the bolting face.
I welded it all around. And I filled in the old factory holes too. I also fitted some triangle inserts at the bottom to fill it all in. add some strenght . 
The way I did it works , its fast. but its not that pretty.  I did it with scrap I had in my shop and some second hand bolts.
Just another way to go about the job. saves from having to make a jig, or buy premade brackets.



20201121_130622.thumb.jpg.5f0d86973355ed16174f68dc9de721a7.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...