Adoom's 1972 Triumph 2000

Adoom

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a couple of holes and a slot so I can cut the corner off so I've got space to fit the long 13mm drill.

IMG_0291.thumb.JPG.9e534f2e913d49e14ba0bfa8a8d01d51.JPG

Here it is with the alloy prototype.
I've drilled the pilot hole for the balljoint tapered hole. And milled the mounting faces to the right heights.

IMG_0292.thumb.JPG.fe1f61a7a47fcfb45e471962538a4c52.JPG

Cut a corner off because I no longer need that bit as a reference surface. It takes aaaaaages to cut on the bandsaw.

IMG_0293.thumb.JPG.c972a8cf8df04d32529bd6838a7cec4a.JPG

Buuuuuut, this one might be scrap :( When I reamed the tapered hole, it made an octagon and I'm not sure why. It worked fine on the softer aluminium.

I suppose I could try build up the walls of the hole with weld, then re-drill and try cut the taper again. At least it wouldn't take as long as starting again.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the left side one is done. And it fits, thank fuck.

The ball joint is not quite binding, there's a little left. The inner tie rod joint is binding, but this is at full droop and I intend to reduce the droop travel when I get around to making coil overs.

image.thumb.jpeg.33b1b5755c79d6d5c4f8f0a90292081d.jpeg

I'll have to get on to trying to weld up the taper I messed up on the right side and try drill and ream it again. THEN I can see if I got the height right to fix the bump steer. If it needs fine tuning, I hope it can be sorted by spacing the rack up because I've got a little room there.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

I stripped the spare set of front struts so I can get them ready for welding.

I suspect these last turned in 1971. They were EXTREMELY reluctant to turn. I had to use a punch and hit it really hard with the hammer.

image.thumb.jpeg.c92b399665577bd7a1d9211188154a06.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...