Adoom's 1972 Triumph 2000

Adoom

Well shit. Apparently I was running real low on 0.9 mig wire. I just ran out mid-bead. Sigheth. I changed over to the 0.6 roll and swapped jobs to seam welding the thin edge of the cut floor to the cross member.

Hopefully the local hardware store BOC agent has mig wire as well as gas.

• Like 2

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I found far too many NOPES for this setup to last longer than 5 seconds before exploding.

IMG_0107.thumb.JPG.6ce0ce169195f1c2091c0ae5a0bf2213.JPG

Maybe the faceplate......?

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.fd49eca4b533008afcce5d972f7f0114.JPG

That seems..... less dodgy.

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.f76b02649f889252b153233d3ac86e28.JPG

Never used a faceplate before.... Am I gonna die? Do I need some counterweight.... you know, so there's more shrapnel to fly off and hit me, or smash through the roof?

How many rpm....? It's a small hole and aluminium, so quite fast.... but death and dismemberment do not appeal. 

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wanted to have a better tow bar mounting system than the factory one, which relied far to much on the spare wheel well sheet metal.

I originally intended to fold up something that would replace the support for the boot floor boards. But I didn't have any suitable sheet metal and it would have been too long and thick to fit in my folder. So I decided that using some rectangular section would be FAR simpler.

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.536bc7e0235a4556f619507cd7e3144a.JPG

I made some access holes so I could weld in the captive nuts and if I ever need to replace them, I can get in there with a die grinder. I also notched the bottom with the mill so it fit over the raised sections of floor.

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.664d042fcf279b0cf07d5c4a24bf8b10.JPG

Just a couple of spot welds on this side.

I'm not sure if I should be worried about bending forces where it's welded on below the strut, it's 1.2mm sheet there, or if I should add some structure in to tie it in with the cross member above it... There is double skinned structure in the rear quarters that wraps around and across the back panel and ties into the bumper mounts, so the back of the car is actually supported.

IMG_0277.thumb.JPG.0a72973ddcc3649ea519fd039027281f.JPG

Gives me three M10X1.25 bolt holes. Don't mind the washers, they were just to clamp it for welding.

Now I need to do the other side.

• Like 8