Jump to content

Adoom's 1972 Triumph 2000


Adoom
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Made my jig rejigging jig. The big box section has two sets of holes for the studs, the original location and the narrower location.

Once I bolted it to the studs, I welded some random bits of scrap to join the two jogs together. Then I could cut the mounting studs of the first jig, move them to the new position holes, weld them to the jig again, then cut the rejigging jig off.

20211107_131947.thumb.jpg.517d7c429253e613a9ff00e056ab312c.jpg

It not very exciting to look at...

20211107_163359.thumb.jpg.c710230ed7809427d4c132320d9c1d88.jpg

I got the subframe positioned in the car and bolted up to the repositioned front mounting studs.

I need to think of a way to temporarily attach the strut towers and box section to the car. But it needs to be removable so I can put it in the other car and have it in exactly the same place. I'm going to guess that the position of most of the bolt holes is "close enough" and won't be the same between the two cars

I'm definitely going to need a custom fuel tank.

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Dang it. Scrap metal place only has big trucks, so it will cost them more than the shell is worth to collect it. But mate next door is cool with me chopping it into bits to fit in his small trailer and taking it in that.

On a positive note, I did get $52 for the two stuffed copper radiators I dropped off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm reasonably sure the subframe is aligned correctly. But just in case, I have given myself some wiggle room.

20211219_152539.thumb.jpg.51717a50a53d5c0d3819a920209c8e41.jpg

These big washers will allow me to move the mounts around a few mm.

20211219_152522.thumb.jpg.a5788ac8e3051963640f48f45db6ddbc.jpg

And a bit of plate with a threaded hole and a pointy bolt that fits into a corresponding hole in the big bolt to temporarily 'lock' it into position.

20211219_152629.thumb.jpg.ed60a7015ab4337449b7aa6fd09dd350.jpg

I'll leave it like this until I can get it on a wheel alignment machine. Once I confirm that the subframe is straight, I'll weld it all solid.

I still need to make a plan for the front mounts. I don't have any flat surface there, so I need to create a temporary one.  

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For peace of mind, I got the plum bob and long straight edges out and did some measuring. The subframe is centered left/right across the car measuring from the wheel arch. Yay.

And, since there is no suspension at the front, I used the front cross member mounting holes to make two points on the floor and draw a line through them, then measure back to the spots I made for each rear wheel center. Only 5mm difference side to side. Which I think is about 0.05 degrees. The two points I took from the front were not very far apart, so drawing a line through them would have exaggerated any errors, so I think 5mm is not bad. It is a 70's triumph after all.  

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...