Shrikes Misses daily

shrike

So been lurking awhile and thought I should finally post something, have been motivated by @NicT and his Altezza thread

Haven't owned an oldschool car in awhile (though I briefly had an AE71 before I got this, slant front wish I had kept it but GF wouldnt drive it :( )

Have been living in Australia for 4.5years and as my AE111 is still being built in NZ I don't have much to tinker with

About 2years ago I kicked my GF up the ass and put the hard word down that she had to get her Licence as I was sick of driving her everywhere.

Also as about 12months ago we moved to urban fringe (regional vic) her not being able to drive would be a large problem.

So I went out an picked up a stock as a rock Lexus IS200 with full service history (had even had all the valve clearances done before I brought it), my main reasoning was that it was slow (soooooo slow) and handled ok meaning that I could have some fun and maybe drop a 2j from an IS300 with a manual box in the future.

Really wishing I could get the electronic throttle body to p**s the f**k off

Gf has learnt to drive in it and a friend of mine briefly dailyed if for 6months

For the last 2years it has cost me nothing minus the odd old change and has been pretty reliable, delivering 9.8-10L/100km on e10 fuel

Also its been dinged and pranged a few times by the GF (Dented fender, scraps on both bumpers, hole in the rear taillight, scraps around the rear guards)

However as it starts to approach  the 300000km mark (sits at 286k atm) problems have started to appear (running on 5cylinders intermittently being the main one) and I am looking to replace it with something newer.

However until I get a new car (no rush as I am moving back into the city) I want to keep it going as long as I can, also as I doubt ill be able to sell it or even get some decent trade in value I am looking to do some minor mods and once the rego runs out do some club events and track days

In the last 3months

ASIC disabled (Yay for better induction)

New air filter
New Oil filter
New oil
New copper plugs
Copper plugs gaped to .8mm (due to the miss starting)

This week
New coil packs
New Iridium spark plugs
Fresh MT90 in the gearbox and diff (as the gearbox crunches now and then)

And I have new 12hole injectors to replace the factory 4hole ones on the way from overseas (1nzfe)

From the Gf's last crash one of the front control arms bushing has torn so will look into replacing all the bushings as well

Rear tyres are 2mm off the wear indicators
Front tyres are 5mm off the wear indicators

Rear main seal is leaking so that will be a fun job, may look into changing to a single mass flywheel and stronger clutch at the same time

Will be getting new tyres soon

Future plans if I end up tracking it are
Strip the interior
Weld the diff
Spare set of factory rims with slicks
Boost?
3" mild steel exhaust

If the budget stretches
LS400 Brakes/rotors
Coilovers
Bracing

Will post some pics over the weekend, 1gfe's are pretty cheap over here if it blows up

Factory ecu with a TD04 from a Subaru should happily do 5-7psi with a fuel cut defender, I may get an aftermarket ecu (patch loom) if I can justify it (which can go onto the ae111 later)

Pretty sure id be lucky to have 80kwatw so not aiming for huge numbers as the rods tend to be the weak point

Updates may be slow :P

25130003_10155418415497669_1213209409_o.jpg

25086764_10155418415782669_472773821_o.jpg

25105482_10155418415787669_1969727114_n.jpg

• Like 1

So moving closer to work this weekend (10-15mins on the motorbike instead of upto an hour(90km each way)) 15mins walk to the train station for the GF so while I am hunting to buy a wagon for next snow season the Lexus will get some more love.

New injectors should hopefully arrive Friday and after Xmas I'll be buying an AC/DC Tig to go with the mig that a mate is going to be storing in my garage (will also get some other tools).

All going well next pay ill get some 2.25" mild steel pipe to replace the precats with as I suspect they are blocked, probably get everything to make a 3" mild steel exhaust as well for when I manage to collect all the bits to turbo her.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Injectors are installed and the difference is like day and night, low and mid-range power seems to be up and she no longer drops to 5cylinders

However fixing this has now made another problem worse

When I first brought the car its always taken a few cranks to fire up, since the new injectors have been installed and I cleaned out the fuel rail and re-primed the fuel system its gotten worse

Discovered that the IS200 doesn't prime the pump and only gives it voltage when you start to crank

Pretty sure my in-tank regulator is leaking fuel back into the tank

Will buy a new reg and see if that fixes the issue

26853862_10155507889407669_1887246087_o.jpg

26828933_10155507904987669_364031529_o.jpg

26853342_10155507905102669_1636264150_o.jpg

26782352_10155507905712669_1163638336_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to take pictures but new fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator is now installed

Took me last night and this morning as the aftermarket filter seats the fuel reg differently and I wasn't holding fuel pressure

Car now starts first turn of the key :)

• 2 years later...

So I sold this to a learner driver for 1300 as I got a 2013 Liberty Wagon to replace it with, and the Girlfriend got a workcar not long after. I wanted to keep it for track work but the 1gfe was tired and I had limited space. 

Shoukd have updated this 2years ago