1997 Toyota Townace 4wd system questions

ThePog

I have been having issues with how my 1997 townace 4wd ute runs, the solution for better or for worse was to fit a nz spec non emissions carb which has solved some issues but highlighted other things we need to sort out, ie a valve sticking or leaking on number 2 cylinder and making it still run pretty shit - that is by the by though.

The man who did the swap has removed meters of vacuum hose and associated shit, and as I discovered when I tried to put it in 4wd, he had cut and left the tube to the 4wd engagement system open to the air.

I respliced this feed into a vacuum pipe on the carb and it was definitely sucking things, but still the 4wd will not engage. With the engine off and ignition on the solenoid valves beside the transfer case click when the 4wd button on the dash is on, but that is all that happened.

I went for a short drive to see if it just needed to draw enough vacuum in the wee vac tank that feeds the solenoid valves, but still no go.

What else should I be looking for?