Sunbeam

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sunbeam

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had some frustrating times trying to decipher why I have a misaligned water pump pulleyIMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.3bdc95acc4321eeac1d8d088e854116a.jpeg

As far as I can tell, the pulley seems to be correct for a 1608cc twin cam. So where does that leave me? The hub height of the water pump must be wrong? The only thing left for me to do is seek out a club member who is doing up a 124BC with the original 1608 and see if he’ll let me come over and measure/compare some things.

In happier news after saving up for a few months this turned up in the post

IMG_1323.thumb.jpeg.d779acbd07340af64ae50db968c4b8fb.jpegIMG_1324.thumb.jpeg.5fd216dabe3502ff86ef6e462e223d86.jpeg

Wow, it’s so light and so small compared to the factory bus wheel! What I wasn’t prepared for was the highly polished almost chrome-like spokes. I swear in the pictures it looked like a satin finish, so it was almost a bit of a downer, but I think it’s fine.

Sadly, what is NOT fine is the boss kit I bought ages ago. It will not engage with the self cancel mechanism, there is no way to fit the horn button, and the steering wheel nut will only engage half the threads before the hub bottoms out.  The following picture is only an illusion…

IMG_1329.thumb.jpeg.caa4058249486ef9533a3114ad851b17.jpeg

Sigh… more money to spend!!

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

Went for another drive this morning. Driveshaft vibration is still present despite carefully shimming the centre bearing. The thermostat is not opening so it made boiling noises and had a spew. The temp gauge didn’t go over half though…

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thermostat sorted. High beams have been found! It was an easy fix, another case of where did the panel beater tuck that earth wire…

On the to-do list: Take the driveshaft somewhere for a balance, sort an electric fan, sort alternator wiring mod (from external regulator to internally regulated alternator) and gain more clearance for the back tyres. The tyres are clearing the lip on the guard but now touching the outboard skin of the wheel tub with kids in the back.

Probably won’t get done for 6 weeks now as we’re off on holidays soon.

PFT 2.5 years ago 

IMG_0092.thumb.jpeg.95e5728a41ca899541c3b6841ab56cc0.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

I’m glad I have a hoist! With little wiggle room to get the gearbox out it’s nice to do it standing up instead of groveling on the concrete underneath the car.

IMG_1493.thumb.jpeg.0ad289733e98fd2a59e8443348943993.jpeg

The leak was obvious. 
IMG_1495.thumb.jpeg.4f75d38fe0144ccb8d412c1a399379cb.jpeg

Will be using rtv this time, no gasket.

With it apart I’m lead to think (dangerous) is it 5 speed time?

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The pipes are bent up so I have been mucking around with fitting them up. I’m hitting a wall with the secondaries, I can’t make them fit. 
IMG_1570.jpeg.32196e53903052b20e3b6ff2fd131c6d.jpeg

Look how far apart the ends are. They are supposed to come together to weld into a collector. Also they should be on the same plane in the vertical sense but…

IMG_1571.jpeg.0ae4c4ffaf26605477df8be06138603c.jpeg

There are other problems too. I can’t lay them as per the factory ones due to slightly different bend angles so I’m simultaneously hitting the bell housing and the chassis rail. Tell me, am I unreasonable in expecting to be able to fit up the pipes with minor trimming? This part of the job (bending 2x pipes and laser cut flange ran to $215+GST. They had my original as a pattern and supposedly use 3D scanning. At this rate I will need to cut them at nearly every bend and add or subtract sections. What would you recommend?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

Rage quit. I could NOT make them fit properly, plus I wound up with a pinhole inaccessible by welder. Also my ocd can’t cope with the franken-look bits and pieces all welded together so I’m going to start again. Will have to be after new year at this rate. How annoying is it to spend hours on something which then becomes scrap metal? Maybe I can chop it up and use a couple of bends to fix up the old one…. Oh well, off to the beach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

• 4 weeks later...