Chev LH Starter Conversions

MRWEST

Anyone had experience with Chev LH Starter conversions?

Im doing some work on a mates VL Commodore at the moment which has had a 350 Chev conversion.

The starter has been relocated to the LH (Passenger side) of the motor and using a aftermarket starter mount which mounts in the place of the oil filter and the oil filter has to be remote mounted.

The issue iv got is the original starter that was on this motor got replaced when new headers where put in (the old owner beat the headers to the inch of there life to clear the starter). A cheap chinese starter got put in by a Auto sparky that didn't mesh properly, sat too far from the flexplate and couldn't handle starting the high compression v8.

It died after maybe 20-30 starts in my shed (car hasn't even been driven really since the new headers and this starter where put on)

The car has a 153 tooth flexplate which is a small chev/holden flex plate as far as i believe.

I went to Roadrunner Starters/Prostart in Tauranga who gave me a grunty starter to fit in the spot BUT.

The adaptor plate has a 100mm centre to centre bolt spacing for the starter. 

Apparently the chev and holden starter motor bolt spacings are 80 something and 80 something else respectively but within a few mm of each other. 

Neither line up with the 100mm centre to centre bolt spacing of the adaptor plate we have.

Apparently there arent any chev starters with that spacing,

Has anyone had experiance with a LH Starter conversion on a 350 and can point me in the right direction,

The next option is to get a custom made mounting plate for the roadrunner starter which is doable but a bit of a pita. 

Cheers

Coming at it from a different approach.

Has he got the subframe spacers in? The exhaust is a cunt to fit without them when running a SBC, also check the phasing of the starter.

Mine had to be turned about 90 degrees to fit my headers.

Admittedly mine is a Holden but same principle applies. The passenger side is fucking tight fit for exhaust regardless but more so on the passenger side because of the starter.

Yeah im lead to believe these kits are made for a holden starter 

BUT the mounting bracket on the block definately has 100mm bolt spacing where as the chev/holden are both in the 80s in terms of spacing. 

So im not sure wtf is going on tbh, neither do roadrunner starters who have been real helpful...

Need to check if the subframe spacers are in, the kits been in the car and running for years its just when my mate changed the headers and they didnt have a huge caved in section to clear the headers hes run into problems. 

The starter itself physically fits ( the new roadrunner one) but it doesnt bolt up,

The old original start didnt physically fit without serious panelbeating of the headers,

And the cheap chinese replacement fit but didnt cut the mustard with the high compression 8 nor was it set up properly in terms of meshing hence didnt last long. 

Looks like we will just have to get a custom made mounting face plate for the starter. 

Legend,

Yep measuring centre to centre,

Roadrunner tell me some starters come with 4 bolt holes to suit different offset, the 2 outside holes are 100mm centre to centre (which the mounting block on the motor is currently somehow)

And your meant to use one inside and one outside hole depending on the offset you want.

So basically confirms the fact someones farked up the adaptor plate on the engine (although im not sure how this possible cause they are/where a kit?)

Looks like ill just have to get road runner to get me a custom front mounting plate to suit. 

• Like 1