HD 304V8 engine conversion

wagonman

Im planning on transplanting an injected Holden V8 and 6 speed into my Hd. I know its not going to be easy after spending many hours reading on Aussie Forums. The steering box makes it impossible in these early Holdens and must be replaced with a rack. Many opinions on whether to mount the rack on the front or rear of the HR front end and kits available to do it but Im reluctant to take that route. 

What Id like to do is buy a complete replacement front end from CRS. This solves the brakes, springs and rack conversion in one shot and even though expensive I think its worth the cost. My question regards certification. The guy at CRS said other kiwis have had trouble getting certification even though they comply with ADR. Anyone have experience of this? They look to be well engineered but the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of money on scrap steel.

It will probably need to go through Technical Approval Committee. It isn't hard and they aren't unreasonable pricks as some people would have you believe.

But it takes a bit of effort and you may need to ask CRS for some technical drawings or bring in a front end for them to look at.

However the fact it has ADR compliance means it should piss in or it may just be a paperwork and tick the boxes exercise.

I presume its bolt in?

• Like 1

Alternatively there is a bloke on here doing a very similar conversion on an EJ so take a geeze at his thread and snaffle some ideas. He is using an LH Torana front end. 

Build thread - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/47193-kiwibirdmans-1962-ej-holden-wagon/

Discussion - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/47194-kiwibirdmans-1962-ej-holden-wagon/

• Like 1

Ok Thanks for the info k-trips. Yes the CRS front end is a bolt in place deal.

Ive read about using the Torana front ends which I think is a much better option than trying to retro fit a rack and pinion but I don't think they directly replace the existing front end and need some fitting but I could be wrong on that. 

• 2 weeks later...