Clutch Issue

G60

Hey all!

Due to having the mechanical aptitude and knowledge of a fish, I thought I would seek some wisdom, knowledge, and assistance with a clutch issue on a 2003 Kia Rio LS.  Before we get too excited, I DO NOT OWN A KIA RIO haha, but know a chick who does :)

When the engine is running it cannot be put in gear, however when the engine is off it can.  It can be started while in gear with the clutch in and acts normal, but once you try to change gear it will happily move to neutral but will not go into any gear from there.

Any thoughts, theories, or knowledge?  No, it cannot be crushed, fed to the lake, or be sacrificed in any way as I think she kind of wants to keep it :)

I have an odd feeling these might be cable clutch. but I cant confirm.

If It is make sure nothing is bent. I have seen a few kias where either the mount on the pedal is broken or the pivot bracket is fucked.

but could even just be the clutch it self.

So basicly, make sure when you press the clutch pedal is the pivot that acts on the fork working correctly

As Seedy said, it sounds like clutch adjustment.

Google says this is the Rio clutch adjuster but I wouldn't put money on it - cos internet.

large.gif

Wind out the adjuster nut (B') 2 full turns and try again. If no better, wind out two more full turns etc. 

You need to have about 2-4mm of freeplay between the pivot and fork (A)

Pro-tip - you may need to use something to stop the threaded portion of the cable from turning when you wind the adjuster nut out - something like a pair of pliers or loosely clamped vice grips.