Electronic speedo drives

R100

When performing an engine transplant using a different engine and auto box (retaining the factory loom and ecu for that engine and trans) that utilises an electronic speedo drive/sensor and the vehicle its being transplanted into has a cable speedo how do i connect the cable speedo ?

If i remove the electronic sensor and fit a cable drive will the auto trans still change gears.

The 2 engine transmissions in question are

Toyota 1UZ & Auto

VR/VS holden V8 & Auto

Its been at least 5 years since ive done a 1uz swap with and auto trans.

The first car i just fitted a gps speedo

The second car was a supra that had an electronic speedo anyway.

I have seen pic on the interweb of T drive units that fit between the speed sensor and box to allow a cable to be used.

But is this necessary on a 1UZ or Holden V8 ?

Has anyone had any first hand experience with this ?

I guess i really want to know is will everything still work as it should with the electronic speedo drive removed..

Thanks

This is a hurdle I have to get over with my VT V8 into early Holden project. I think that the computer needs to have the speed sensor in place to change gear at the right time. The options I have come up with so far are

1.  converter box, probably the easiest answer, last time I looked about US$300   
  2. aftermarket electronic speedo, US$140
  3. get a VT cluster and hide the speedo guts behind the original speedo

I'm going to give option 3 a crack if I can get a cluster for not too much money. Keen to find out how you get on.

a 1uz swap that i did, i adapted the nissan (vehicle it was in) electric speedo drive to the toyota box, which must have been seperate to the speed sensor that the trans uses, cause i remember dicking around with that side of the wiring after it was on the road for a while, to get it shifting correctly.

3.8 swap i did int another nissan, the electric speedo drive part just unscrews off and a cable screws on. this was a VP box so not sure if the same.

that one didnt need anything in the way of a speed sensor to work, apart from the converter lockup didnt work or it didnt have one, dunno.