datto_310's 1972 Datsun 1600 Z18ET Discussion

datto_310

Nice one!

I did a Z18ET conversion on my mates 510 rally car back in the late 90's. It went quite hard with the few mods we did to it.

Was running a Corolla AE101 radiator and matching electric fan from memory, no over heating issues at all.

My one just has a stock 1600 radiator that has been 3cored and the z18 4 blade fan directly driven off waterpump pully. I can really go any wider in size due to intercooler piping. I was hoping to take the radiator out and get it cleaned and refurbished, and get a decent sized elec fan & shroud to put back in and hopefully that will sort it.the radiator already has a thermo switch in the bottom tank so may as well give it a shot first before going down the retro-fit road

Gets hot as soon as it stops moving. Any Idling and the temp creeps up almost right away.it will come down gradually if you speed up to 100kmh, but even then it will start creeping up if you get stuck behind a big truck etc. It just makes it a bit of a pain as i have to be careful where i take it. Traffic just kills the poor old girl

Gets hot as soon as it stops moving. Any Idling and the temp creeps up almost right away.it will come down gradually if you speed up to 100kmh, but even then it will start creeping up if you get stuck behind a big truck etc. It just makes it a bit of a pain as i have to be careful where i take it. Traffic just kills the poor old girl

also it has no shroud witch im sure wont be helping , the fixed fan dosent seem to feel like it moves much air around underbonnet. I had a 1kz powered surf and the mech fan on that would almost blow your face of when the bonnet was up

Yeah, that sounds more like the fan set up than a radiator being blocked. Get it cleaned out for piece of mind though.

Not sure if you could piece a shroud off another car radiator to suit the 1600 one?

How much room do you have for a viscous fan & shroud setup?