Jump to content

Kiwibirdmans 1962 EJ Holden Wagon


Kiwibirdman
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Kiwibirdman

    128

Top Posters In This Topic

Been working may way through the list. One of the things was the bracket for the brake booster had to come off and be checked, needs to be TIG'd and crack tested. That is OK.

When I was pulling it apart there was brake fluid coming out the of the back end of the master cylinder into the booster. Also found that the booster had travel from when the brake pedal is pushed to when the master cylinder is engaged ( a gap somewhere in the booster). I had rung Sterling brake and clutch in Onehunga and Saturday and they were helpful and said bring it in we can pull it apart and have a look. 

This morning I went over there, via Zebra pick a part to get another master cylinder off a VZ commodore, cheaper to get another one than try and fix the leaky one. At sterling I got educated on boosters and new master cylinders. The VZ master will not work with the Gemini Booster. There goes Plan A. Plan B is now a new 7 inch Booster and new GM style Master cylinder. On order and has to come from Aus, there are non in the country that are at a reasonable price.

I did get quite a few things sorted out on Saturday. Bolts changed for longer ones, Spring washers added, Lock nuts added. It all takes time.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The Booster and master turned up pretty quickly from Oz. The shaft on the booster is shorter than the Gemini one, so it will mount directly to the firewall. All good except the wiring loom gets in the way. Found that there is a place near where I can put another hole and run everything through.

I disconnected everything, felt very pleased that I had put plugs on anything that interconnects between the power train loom and  the car loom. The challenge is that the plus on the relays are too big to go through the old hole in the firewall. Looks like having to separate out the connectors from the plugs, not difficult, just a pain.

Also needed another hole saw, ordered on line with the Bunnings click and drive. Only 4 hours later to pick up a single 38mm hole saw. Fucking lock down!!

The other challenge is the master cylinder I got from VPW was the one with outlets on both sides. I had made a point of ordering the GM LHS only type. The RHS outlets hit the bonnet springs. I might have to steal the master cylinder off my Firebird. It is a lot smaller and should be OK.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...