Shakotoms 1963 Volkswagen Beetle

Shakotom

Its powered by a  engine which is a model of efficiency and precision. It is a four-cylinder, four cycle overhead valve powerplant with two pairs of horizontally opposed cylinders displacing 1200cc

post-11365-0-48152800-1423685823_thumb.jpg

and since purchasing the car in the three weekends Ive owned and driven it Ive put almost 1200 trouble free miles on it (touchwood) with many more to come. I enjoy driving this way too much.

(I stuck the scat sticker on there, there's no performance parts only factory goodness)

As I said it was my 21st back in January my parents hadn't really got me a present yet, and with purchasing this and it not having the original plates on it I came home one day to find a brown envelope on my bed.

Turns out theyd bought me a set of Personalized plates as a belated gift!!

post-11365-0-28565600-1423686314_thumb.jpg

I think they suit the car very well, being a beetle and all

• Like 4

I had been planning on keeping this a secret and just turning up to meets and not saying anything, but I suck at keeping secrets hence this thread.

A few mates on here saw it when they came around and yeah

I did manage to make it down to leadfoot on the saturday. got there early, parked up and disappeared for a while and came back and chatted to people and had a few be like what did you come in? and I pointed at the VW and got told I was crazy.

But thats okay! 

post-11365-0-21911000-1423686693_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough to partake in the parade up the drive way at lunch time with OldSchool and remembered to set my go pro up aswell

post-11365-0-40802300-1423686819_thumb.jpg

That was an awsome day to say the least but I left a bit early though to head off to the beach with the mrs

And a photo from the way home

post-11365-0-19996900-1423686912_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

post-11365-0-25146400-1423686953_thumb.jpg

This does photograph slightly better than it looks in real life. Since I got it home and have been staring at it Ive picked it to pieces and have written a list of bits I want to get tided up.

Ive purchased new chrome trims as the chrome on it has a few dents and isn't really fixable, Its got a small dent in the passangers door that needs popped out, Horn rings broken and needs replacing and a couple of other things.

Oh it did have an oil leak from around the sump plate but I fixed that when I changed the oil and cleaned the strainer out.

Whats my plans for this you may ask?

Fix my list of issues with vehicle to tidy it up

And lower it. I dont want to do any modifications to the body or any factory components as I want to have the ability to put it all back to standard if ever I want/need to.

Ive already sourced another set of wheels (thanks to Greg) and am saving for a adjustable beam and drop spindles now

ultimately I'm stoked with my purchase and thoroughly enjoy driving and owning a vehicle I've wanted since ages ago.

My only regret is not buying a Volkswagen sooner.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Havent really done anything extra to this recently, Just enjoying driving it! so heres a photodump to celebrate getting my computer fixed!

Went to Hamilton swap-meet and caught up with Greg

post-11365-0-03556700-1438071538_thumb.j

Roadtrip weekend away with the girlfriend around taupo area, with lots of backroad/gravel detours resulting in a filthy car by the time we got home

post-11365-0-45049000-1438071597_thumb.j

• Like 1

And this about sums up all that Ive really had to do to the bug.
Regular oil changes!

post-11365-0-76601200-1438072055_thumb.j

Now were coming into winter, Im starting to try and scrape some cash together to do plugs ect and a couple of other maintainace bits

• Like 2

WHO SAYS BEETLES ARENT PRACTICAL

post-11365-0-94741500-1438072147_thumb.j

Did a Semi freight run on the way down to gang summit as an excuse to cruise round and see some places/meet OS peeps.

Had three bikes on the roof, A set of alloys and tyres on the backseat/trunk area for Mjrstar to drop off in hamilton aswell as stopping at gregs to foam my roofrack and tighten the bolts.
THANKS GREG!

Cruised on through to Taupo to pick up two stationary engines (that were alot larger that I thought) off Testament for Seedy Al. Took the passenger seat out to put them in

post-11365-0-57830500-1438072651_thumb.j

Thats about all....

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...