Chris' 70 cst10

chris r

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures as I couldn't find the camera, Replaced all the front wheel studs tonight, I thought it was too easy so timed it. 23 mins to jack it up, pull drums & hub off, smack out the old studs and smack in the new adjust the shoes and slap the wheel back on.

Since that went so easily I thought I'd attack the non working washer pump had tp pull all the old brittle air con ducting out along with the radio and ash tray. Ipulled it out and put the seal kit in it. still didn't work and all the hoses are split and perished. I'll cheat and put a universal inline pump in it tomorrow and get some new hoses

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I cheated and put a new washer bottle/pump assembly in, It looks tidy enough and doesn't have the water lies running through the firewall.

I set the idle mixture and now it actually idles and starts. Just need to take it for a spin and see how it behaves now

20150222_111933_zps52c51a30.jpg20150222_112030_zpsd324a1bb.jpg

• Like 8

I'm shit at photos, Ain't nothing like last minute. Its booked in for compliance Monday. As of tonight the wipers wipe, the squirter squirt and the high stop light is pretty bloody bright and it reflects off the tailgate. oh and the dash lights work too. I re did the main earth to the block and the battery to starter wire. It cranks over nicley now. I'll wait and see what it fails on

• Like 4

Ain't nothing like last minute, I didn't have the right paperwork for compliance but a email and phone call and I had a copy emailled to me so back for second attempt tomorrow and fingers crossed for a clean sheet. (I know I'm dreaming)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Failed compliance on rust on under body etc, I thought it was surface and should of been ok. Took it to a panel beater neal recommended and I only need a patch under the battery tray 9which my mate fixed) and some waxy clear coat stuff on the surface rust in the a pillars. Bonus on both the bill side and I get to keep the 'patina' which is what all the cool kids like right?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been a month and all I've done is chang the oil and put a shiny air filter housing on it, Oh and new rocker cover gaskets. I've ordered a calibration kit for the carb and will attempt to fix the exhaust and trans leaks

unnamed_zpszpttcqzv.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Its been nearly 6 months and all I have done in this is burn oil, gas and get a wof. 

Who is good with drum brakes? This has shitloads of pedal travel before some slowing happens. I adjusted them a while ago but can't have a look at them myself at the moment as I have injured wrists. (Yes both of them) Solo sex injury gone very wrong.

Edit for more info

This has drums all round, Looks like the master cylinder has been replaced at some point. Ultimately I'll be getting drop spindles or at the very least disc spindles for this 

• Like 1

The exhaust tip/piping is sorted thanks to Jason. 

He also Adjusted up the drums as I am useless/cant.

I suspect the starter has finally died on, It never likes hot starting and now it wont at all. I'll test all the wiring tomorrow then rip it out and see whats toast

The exhaust started leaking again, the nuts holding the flange onto the manifold have disappeared.

The tip is on and it (was before the nuts fell off) way less drony compared to the pipe finishing under the tray

Starter is all fuxed now and at exactly the amount I wanted to spend. 

I pulled it out and stuck it in the vice. First think I saw was a missing screw in the solenoid cap. I pulled the end cap off as I suspected the brushes were gone due to the oil leaks but they were good. Pulled the solenoid out and apart and the problem was obvious the contact had arced out. I spun it 180 and its good as new. It was interesting that there was no oil or grease in any of the moving parts of the starter. I took out the coil connection of the starter as its not needed with the HEI dizzy. I ran a new wire with a bullet terminal as its difficult to get the wire on and tight in the car.

12625719_10153563447708999_662469735_n_z12625644_10153563447623999_1456158572_n_12583947_10153563447603999_121565216_n_z12648146_10153563447613999_979198099_n_z12626089_10153563447508999_848765146_n_z12607115_10153563447518999_2044497113_n_

• Like 5