Prothy's 1977 Toyota Celica TA23 ST

sheepers

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sheepers

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno if I've mentioned it before but all the brightwork on this car has been pre-fucked by whoever painted it red last time around. parts that are usually chrome, like the C pillar trim, the taillight/headlight surrounds and bumpers had been sanded and fucked in the past in order to paint them red. 

so I've had to bead blast them and paint them again. hence the gunmetal grey colour. 

so with that in mind here are the bumpers with their first coat of primer on them.  tonight i also prepped and primed the front infill panels and the rear number plate mount. 

i ordered another liter of the grey today and i should get that tomorrow then i can finish paint a few more parts.

23826125334_a0c11ebdb6_h.jpg2016-01-18_08-26-10 by sheepers, on Flickr

24428124326_72b62db4c0_h.jpg2016-01-18_08-26-23 by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 6

more wires.

the end result of which is more things work now.

24326566439_791e8577d8_h.jpg2016-01-30_09-19-23 by sheepers, on Flickr

24398711910_1c9cd0edf7_h.jpg2016-01-30_09-19-32 by sheepers, on Flickr

Nicks hands were just a blur with activity and he did activities that resulted in the engine starting.

so it goes now. it starts and idles without having to pour a whole bunch of fuel down the intake. it also works the fuel pump relay properly off the air flow meter trigger (if the motor stops the pump stops). it has a fuel pump relay (there were no relays or fuses anywhere). and it has many things which it never had before.

like adequate size power feeds to everything. some wires which make the gauges work and many other things. so now that it all works we can tidy up the loom and tidy it all away and its done.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Nick "the legend" sparky came over last night with the freshly rebuilt alternator and we chucked that in and finished the engine loom.

the engine bay is looking pretty good now. i need to weld up some cracks in the rocker cover and paint it, and the intake, black but its getting there.

so with its new found "goingness" i took it for a drive this morning. by far the longest I've ever driven it. maybe 4Ks. it seems to go alright. the front left brake caliper is sticking a bit so that might need attention but for a "first drive" all went well.

its pissing oil out the cracks in the rocker cover which is to be expected but apart from that all seems to be well. 

there is a small issue with the alternator but I'm sure Nick the sparky will sort that out toot sweet.

so next to do is everything else. finish polishing/repairing the window chrome and stick that on. millions of things still to do…….

• Like 3

roof. as in the inside of it.

today i put hood lining in and got it all sorted. i can't thank Mike (sleektoy) enough for giving me the parts i need to keep this thing progressing. without his help id still be trying to find bits and it probably wouldn't even be painted.  today he dropped off the ultra rare pinch rail trims that hold in the also ultra rare GT cardboard hood lining that he also gave me. I'm sure ill need more bits before this thing is through and I'm guessing Mike will come to the rescue once again.

this is a picture of the rare as fuck notchback GT roof line trims that i washed then painted black.

25024961021_ac6c23b03d_h.jpg2016-02-19_02-25-57 by sheepers, on Flickr

so i put the hood lining in. the fabric is supposed to lip under the rear glass rubber and consequently its in for good once the glass is installed. i didn't want this to be so. why? why you ask? well, i wanted the new owner to be able to remove the hood lining in the future so the roof rails can be re-cavity waxed. so i made an aluminum rail that screws into the roof rail at the back to hold the hood lining in. this way it can come out without to much drama.

this is the bit i made.

24489363184_9b4a7809ce_h.jpg2016-02-19_04-39-12 by sheepers, on Flickr

24752499999_313c037dec_h.jpg2016-02-19_04-49-44 by sheepers, on Flickr

also in other news i put a sealer coat of high build primer on the spoiler so i can begin prepping it for colour. 

25003905592_7da662f063_h.jpg2016-02-19_07-23-49 by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 9

put some bog into this to try and get the shape a bit better. at the end of the day its a fiberglass part and its never going to be prefect but it looks a bit better now.

i put another coat of primer on it and ill block it tomorrow night and see how it looks, if its looking ok ill put some colour on it.

24913644310_524a94ef0c_h.jpg2016-02-23_08-44-10 by sheepers, on Flickr

25090994962_ba29f4d142_h.jpg2016-02-23_08-43-54 by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 2