RX3 PP's 1974 Rx3 Coupe

RX3 PP

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the engine is almost ready to assemble, end plates have been ported, keeping the factory 3B centre plate port stock will provide reasonable economy with the 4 barrel carby, I have decided to go for a bridgeport for the front and rear end plates. Basically I want good fuel economy but when the secondaries kick in, it will still haul arse, port size makes or breaks a fast n/a engine. So just stick to what been race proven over many years. I won't have the same power as running a ida but I've been there and done that, and I want to keep it more stock and drivable whilst shutting the bitch up on the exhaust noise side of things. Exhaust will need looking at as it's completely wrong for my engine, so down the track I'll get that sorted at a local place that's done quite a few rotors and he understands how critical they are to having a tuned system, although not so much for a secondary bridge. Hope to have some engine pics up in the next few days, hope everyone has a great long weekend!

• Like 3

So there it is ready to go together, rotors are now assembled, hoping to get time on Monday to assemble engine, I have the exhaust ports raised only to a certain height, mainly to keep the peak power lower in the rev range, also the 3B inlet ports are kept stock as if you start going much higher it will start to compromise the engines power, running a full length bridge on the front and rear plates. N/A engines are critical with port size so this is where my ports will stay, turbo on the other hand can handle a far bigger port. I may in the future look at bridging the primary's but this will fly with the rx3 carb modified correctly with manual secondary's and also the correct exhaust, in which my case, my current exhaust is completely wrong, so there's another grand gone! Keeping a tally I've spent about 25k to date, but then sometimes it's probably not a good thing to think about.

• Like 2

Engine is now complete, with original rx3 engine parts, hopefully might get time at the weekend to put the engine back in, only real concern is hoping its really drivable as i still have probably around a 9 lb flywheel so we will see. Will be far better than a full j or pp regardless.

So finally I have got the engine out of the van, needing a lift as I'm still waiting on an op to get a kidney stone and a stent removed, and although as sore as hell and pissing blood, I just gotta get it done, she went it pretty sweet, took about an hour and most of the gearbox bolts are in and the front mount is secured, water pump and impeller fitted, radiator hoses on. Leaving the rest for another day. To sore to continue but got what I wanted to achieve done.

Thought I better get a move on today, had a wee bit to do, fitted the alternator back on with a new pulley as wanted to get rid of the shitty Gilmore drives, they may look and sound nice to some, but they do suck a bit of hp as I found out with different engine builds over the years. Next step was to get a belt after a couple of visits to repco finally got one the right size. Bolted up the starter motor and fitted back on the exhaust, crossing fingers there's no leaks, engine oil is in, water in, dizzy connected up. Just for good measure I'm charging the battery overnight, as need to crank it over without the plugs to clean all the Vaseline and crap out as well as get all the oil circulating through the galleries before we add some spark, after 40 odd seconds of cranking oil pressure gauge will come up, well that's the plan. I've just got the carburettor left to bolt on. Brian's giving the original rx3 carburettor a complete rebuild and has modified it as much as needed to feed the big secondary jport. I'll take a video of it once running although not sure I can post it in these forums.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So now with the new engine in and running, I've clocked up about 200kms on my target of around 2000 as end plates have been re ground and needs that run in period. I've managed to get hold of an original mint rx3 viscous fan shroud, and will pick up the genuine fan in the week or two, going to electric fan is just simply not an option when trying to keep it as original as I can. Have some original rx3 coils also to go in as well as factory rx3 air cleaner housing. Interior needs a little bit of time as have gearbox console, handbrake console and radio and steering surround left to put in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...