Frazer's '88 Hilux Surf

Frazer

So finally the time has come that I decided to make my first car thread.. 

Years back in December '13 I bought this mighty looking lux off Turners auctions in CHCHland without having a look at it..

Made all the mistakes of not looking at it, not getting a pre purchase inspection, purchasing without wof, and falling in love at first sight.

Paid $3800 and then shipped it up to Auckland. About a day before it arrived I realized how much of a bad idea that was and thought I would literally receive a pile of rust with a blown engine etc etc. 

But..

Finally got to see the beast, turns out to be the tidiest looking surf I have seen of that age, all completely original (Even head deck) seats were nice, carpets all original and stain-free, pretty much new all terrain tires. Took it to for a wof, passed with flying colors and my mechanic got in touch with the guys who did the last service in Christchurch. Turns out the engine had blown up 15,000kms ago and they had completely rebuilt the damn thing. So now I have over $5k worth of invoices as proof of the engine replacement  :thumbleft:

post-11209-0-26513700-1403672241_thumb.jpg

Since purchase, I have done a few significant trips; Auckland - Gizzy - Whangamata - Home, Auckland -Christchurch and a few Christchurch - Dunedins. 

Only needed to change oil once 

Topless pic

post-11209-0-43112900-1403672455_thumb.jpg

Anyway my first fuckup, wof has been failed because all the rear suspension bushings are fucked and need replacing which apparently is a $450 job so I told him I'd come back with new ones fitted. Anyway straight home, and getting to work, removing the tow bar to get into the leaf springs. However tow bar nuts are rusted/corroded solid and any effort with spanners is just rounding the edges of the nut. 

Thought that it was finally time to put this up here and ask for some good oldschool advice. 

Meanwhile; any oldschoolers around Christchurch/Ilam/UC area? 

Admins: If this post doesn't belong here just let me know and I'll copy paste it somewhere else

More photos to come..

• Like 6

I have a workshop near Hagley park, probably be able get the towbar off/gas off the nuts if they're fucked.

Assuming rear shackle rubbers is what you have failed on?

Edit: best to pm as I don't often read other projects. (And can only post/reply with phone)

Don't really have much plans for it apart from keeping it standard for now... Mostly because I'm a poor pilot school kid.. 

Lux is Life tho

And I very much intend to contact you.. CRC isn't even doing its job