Keltiks latest doomed project

keltik

Small pictureless update tonight.  Got the engine back in with the new clutch, reassembled the engine bay.  Inspected rear wheel for noise, unable to reproduce concern, no fault at this time.

Did one of the rear brake hoses then the one on the other side refused to undo.  Had a go at making my own special brake line spanner with a normal ring spanner and a grinder....it didnt work, shit is just too tight.  Need some multi-grips/pipe wrench/something else to undo it.

So tomorrow i want to do that last stubborn rear brake line.  Splash some underseal over everything from the back of the cab backwards.  Refill with coolant and have a play with the light switch again.  A nice helpful gentleman on the USMB forum has furnished me with some wiring diagrams so i can figure it out.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20140123_191030_0_zps09f1db0c.jpg

IMG_20140123_191053_0_zps79a38dd4.jpg

Got the new brake hoses on.  Rears fitted pretty well, the front went on fine but the knobby bit in the middle that locates it on the strut is in slightly the wrong place.  Also the ones on the strut are a bit munted so might look at getting some other kinda mounting bracket on there somehow or figure something out.  It will work as it is, just not neat enough for my liking.  Nothing is under strain but the proportions dont look right.

Old busted

IMG_20140123_175524_0_zpsff02a98b.jpg

New hotness

IMG_20140123_182240_0_zps6779fc2c.jpg

Mr Jones even appeared to help me bleed everything up.....when he wasnt complaining about how ugly and shit my car was compared to his MGBs...yes plural.

IMG_20140123_182253_0_zpsc99feb44.jpg

New clutch works, got new coolant in the rad to replace the flush stuff.  Went for a wee drive to make sure it was biting well and seems to be a good improvement there.

IMG_20140123_190945_0_zps013dfa16.jpg

The 2 rusty floor spots are the next challenge i set myself before i begin on the front valence disaster.

IMG_20140123_191042_0_zpsf7de35a8.jpg

Coming along nicely at this point.

• Like 2

First order of business for the weekend was to get the irritating electrical gremlins sorted.  So easiest way to do that was to remove the entire cab wiring loom....there it is

IMG_20140125_104054_0_zps46203a8c.jpg

Discovered a few broken wires that were mildly necessary.  One of the ground wires to the cluster had snapped, so that explains the wonky instruments.  Then i managed to remove the wiring for the heater and other things that no longer exist.  Ended up with something much cleaner.

IMG_20140125_123959_0_zps34d5bbd9.jpg

So now everything electrical works and I've got some spare power feeds fused and ready for use by whatever should come up.  Next item was to tackle the rust in the rear cab mounts.  Now i need to point out that i suck at welding.  I honestly do and im ashamed of the results frankly, but fuck it - at least the job got done and with a bit of flap wheel and a bit of filler, it looks good as a bought one.  Cut the rusty section out, bent the stringer that goes from the cab floor to the rear chassis out of the way then welded a new patch in, bent the stringer back into place, plug welded it back to the floor and undersealed the shit out of everything.

IMG_20140125_183245_0_zps431aab7f.jpg

Then i keyed the floor inside, primered it and painted it black with some tough sound deadening paint from supercheap auto.  It went quite well.  I also tried some satin black from supercheap to paint the back of the cab but it was super shithouse.  Fucking awfull paint!  So im going to get some of the nice VHT satin black from Repco that ive painted the rest of the car in.  It might cost twice as much but it does ten times as good a job.

Rinse repeat for the other side of the car.  Today im going to whip the front bumper off and start attacking that front valence.  Tomorrow, it shall go for a wheel alignment then on the first day im free, i'll take it for a wof and we can see what else needs to be tackled.

• Like 1

Took the ute into work to get the front pads n rotors fitted and a wheel alignment.  Turned into a half fail/success affair.

First of all the rotors were fine, so i didnt replace them.  Instead it was discovered that the front calipers were seized with shit and all the dust boots were nakkered.  Got some caliper kits and had them rebuilt.  Then for the wheel alignment, nothing was adjustable so it just ended up getting left alone.  Headlights got aligned and at the end of the day, it came out with some improvement at the expense of my wallet.

I didnt know what to do about the front valance, so i chopped out the rotten bits and discovered it was just as bad as i had feared.  Then i found out that they are still available new from Subaru Japan...so im going to save up and just buy a new panel i think.  Its not crazy money and is going to yield a shitload better result than trying to fudge the existing one back together.

Next mission is to re-bleed the brakes as the pedal has gone a bit spongy after the new caliper kits went in.  I suspect a sticky rear wheel cylinder so will be examining that also.

Finally i get to fit my new gauges.  Got a tacho, water temp and oil pressure sorted.  Just gonna dash mount them.

All is looking good for the cannonball run.  2 weeks left to go.  Hope to meet up with some oldschoolers while im in the Auckland.

Good news everyone!

IMG_20140205_193549_0_zps18fef60d.jpg

200km round trip to an OS event and i didnt break down or get arrested.  Mission accomplished.  Car is road legal for now but still needs a few things tidied up on it.

Tonights little trip revealed a few things i really need to get sorted before the big event next weekend;

* Raise the back a smidge and lower the front

* Get the instrument cluster backlights working, using the maplight aimed at the gauges isnt an ideal solution.

* Fix the split CV boot before the joint decides to eat itself

* Investigate clunk in the front suspension that has magically appeared

* Finish installing oil pressure and water temp gauges

• Like 7

Made a little more progress.  Got some speakers sorted and a headunit.  Even came with some mean beats in it so ive been enjoying the tones of SOAD and RATM and other acronyms.

Got the car stickered up, got my spares packed and will be making final adjustments to ride height tonight.  Front geometry is a bit wonky so lowering should get the camber more reasonable.IMG_20140209_122429_0_zpsfbeafe55.jpg

IMG_20140209_122327_0_zpsd0274d00.jpg

• Like 1

Got my gauges setup all good.  The oil pressure one drops a lot with any electrical load, the power supply to accessories under the dash isn't exactly beefy and suffers when the lights come on.  Will look at fixing that later.  For now, at least ive got some kind of dials to monitor things.  A top tip for the hip kids out there, 60mm gauge mounts are expensive but 65mm PVC pipe brackets are cheap.  Bit of spray paint and some PVC sleeve to take up the size difference.  Good as gold.  3 gauge mounts for a total of about $15.

IMG_20140209_122524_0_zps138a38df.jpg

• Like 1

Decided to do valve clearances too just to be thorough.  They were roughly double the correct gaps on most cylinders, such an easy job to do tho!  Rocker covers came off with 2 bolts each side.  Nice sealed cork gasket that was easily reusable.  Super clean in there too.

IMG_20140209_173037_0_zps9390accb.jpg

• Like 2

Got the front ride height 'adjusted' a little bit better.  Popped the front struts out last night and 'adjusted' the front springs and took some measurements for my future cunning plans.  Finished the headunit install too.  Everything is sitting a bit more level but I might put another notch on the rear torsion bars to stiffen the back a little.  Too close to the bump stops at the mo for my liking.  Ive got the adjuster at max height, so on the next notch at lowest height it should only raise up half inch if that.

IMG_20140211_201125_0_zps42dc2ff6.jpg

IMG_20140211_201158_0_zpsb0892a66.jpg

• Like 1

Holy shet.  Made it to the CannonBall Run and got all the way through the event....but not without drama.

My good luck secret weapon was Jesus on the bonnet.  A good friend made up this sticker and it completed the look of the car slapped front and center on the bonnet (which i have a pic of, but not right now).

1509853_10200559747074819_1300918042_n_z

So following post I'll try to summarize the pant-shittingly worrying mechanical issue that nearly ruined my day.

• Like 1

Drove this thing into town to get tea.  Put "Highway to the danger zone" on the stereo, got a thumbs up from a car full of pretty girls, dude at the drive-thru cracked up at Jesus on the bonnet.

Fuck i cant wait to make it more awesome/less rangi.

Ive had some thoughts on what to do next.  The current engine is making lots of oil disappear very quickly....so i plan on seeing Mr Bell to purchase a spare EA81, Mr Voldo to purchase a cam and then ill slowly start amassing parts for a high comp engine build with some EA71/EA82 pistons.  Maybe even a 5 speed conversion on the cards.  Some 15" steels, some NOS panels from Japan and a more reasonable paint job. Thats the current dream.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...