Replacement Muffler for 4AGE

NickTheFox

Hey im after some advice on replacing the muffler in my NA 4AGE MR2. The current original muffler has rusted out so im looking for a replacement that would be suitable but also sound good. Heres a picture of the current setup Mq8ygSl.jpgSrjFn9e.jpg its a 2 inch system with one small muffler about 250mm long then into a 800mm long muffler which is the one im looking at replacing. I have had a look around and the best option I have found so far was this one here http://www.chase.co.nz/part/700/0/RD3812 which is $172. This is a 2.25 inlet outlet which I have read is the best size for a NA 4age so I would have to put in a reducer, but this would also allow for a future 2.25 upgrade. I just have a few questions as this is a truck muffler would it still sound descent? Also would it matter if used a standard shorter box muffler instead of a long cylinder one?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

yeh hard to say unless you cut it up or put it on a flow bench. but you can pretty much guarantee, that anything other than a straight through design will flow worse than the inlet/outlet size.    if you are going to run something like the one you linked. i'd run 2.5" in/out,  with your existing 2" pipe.

engine will not care if the muffler is way over sized.  but it will if its undersized.

that front muffler will likely just be a straight through reso.

What about something like this, with a u-turn at the end, so it's looping back through itself?

http://www.borla.com/products/proxs_dual_indual_out.html

Not sure how hard one would be to get hold of though, the NZ distributor has pretty limited stock, and they're a bit spendy. I'm just a huge fanboi now I've got two on my MA61, they just sound so good.