Ae86 diff mount measurements

ae85 fiend

Hey guys, as per title. I was wondering if anyone had a rough guesstimate at where the mounts actually sit on an ae86 diff?

I know the diff's are about 1410mm wide ish. 

But haven't been able to find measurements for where they actually sit. 

Just wanting to know 'cause I can get my hands on a Hilux rear end thats been shortened -

Its about 1360mm wide with a LSD head and all ready to get new mounts thrown onto it fairly cheap off a mate.

- Would the hilux diff be to skinny to chuck in an ae85? 

Cheers

That width seems fairly perfect to me. Isn't standard 1460 or something?

I have a bunch of ae85/6 and hilux diffs already converted in the shed if you want to come and have a look or borrow one or something. I have an ae85 diff sitting there that would be perfect for making a jig from. I even had a jig a few years back but it got binned accidentally.

That width seems fairly perfect to me. Isn't standard 1460 or something?

I have a bunch of ae85/6 and hilux diffs already converted in the shed if you want to come and have a look or borrow one or something. I have an ae85 diff sitting there that would be perfect for making a jig from. I even had a jig a few years back but it got binned accidentally.

OH yeah? That would be sweet if I could come have a look/ a measure up man :) 

Yeah, I was just wondering - after a quick google, found that the ae86 diffs are 1410 wide ( ish ) and was wondering if the mounts would all be in the same place if I were to buy this Hilux diff which is 1360 wide ( so 50mm skinnier lol )

Do you have the car? Measure the points of the car. Should be parallel?

Otherwise I can check of the volvo diff I modified in my ke70 this weekend for you.

Got the car - its on blocks at the moment. ( got no diff in it ) If you could check the volvo diff that would be great mate. Cheers

Ok I see what you mean now. Well you'll just need wheels with less offset to account for the skinny diff.

As for if they'll be the same, you put all the mounts in the same place as referenced from the centre of the diff. The overall width of the diff doesn't have any effect on the mounts. You'll need an old diff housing to cut all the mounts off though. Have you got a plan for that yet? There are some guys making their own mounts which is always on option but if you can find a S series diff for $50 then it's hardly worth it.

You're more than welcome to come and have a look at one of my cars. If you feel like crawling under a car then I have 3 at my place that will suffice (Te Atatu), if you want to borrow that ae85 diff then that's at my parents place in Red Beach. I'd 100% say you need to build some form of jig though as it's not only the postions of the mounts, you also need to get the angles of the swaybar mounts and whatnot correct.