RB Motor series - Advice required! HELP!!

kseries.rookie

Make sure you get the head tested; it’s not much about 200 bucks roughly. get a quick vacuum test , check for hardness too (if its alloy) ,and nice light skim,. The vacuum test will tell you if there are any cracks if so move onto a pressure test to find the cracks, and repair if needed/can be done. The hardness test tells you if the head is gone soft if so it’s not useable and you need a new one. And light skim makes sure the new gasket will bolt down evenly and prevent failure again.

Even if you didn’t see the gauge go to hot it doesn’t mean it hasn’t over heated, could have had a hot spot in the head due to lack of coolant flow, could have had no water in the top of the engine thus the temp sensor won’t read as its not submerged in water, even an air pocket, therefor there could be damage that you don’t know about, and seeing as its not cheap to do the head gasket you don’t want to have to do it twice. Also pays to get new head studs as some are torque to yield meaning they stretch when torqued down and that makes them not re-useable

Talk to your local engine rebuilder / repairer, discuss prices and get what you need, I use east city engine rebuilders for my homer jobs as I get along well with the owner/operator and he gives me good prices.

My 2 cents .

Yeah, sounds like great advice!

I have checked out the head myself along side the old boy (who is an engineer)

We just place a long bit of steel across the head 50 million different ways and ran 0.02mm feeler gauges underneith it. No warping. I didn't think about softness but I dont think it'l be a problem as I could touch the rocker covers with bugger all heat coming off it.

I also used an eye dropper and poured petrol down the valves to make sure there were no leaks.

I also checked movement in the pistons, made sure there were no nasty noises and then checked the clearance from the top of the piston to the top of the block to confirm consistency.

All these check out fine, I highly doubt (touch wood) there will be any major damage.

The old man who was playing with some big tanks/trucks/mogs in the Army for 25 years as an automotive engineer said that there is nothing to be worried about.

I'm feeling fairly confident. Fingers crossed!

Oh and yeah i've got new head bolts also :)