plug gap after going electronic ign

dave123456789

just thought i would ask this here, my manual states idle should be at 500-550??? i currently have it at 1000 as it seems to be the smoothest as at 800 it rocks the car a little and any lower car runs like a bag of shit. what would cause this? just 45+ year old engine i guess?

everything ignition related has been replaced/upgraded.

The volume control srew is the mixture.

I always set them by winding it in till it stumbles or stalls then wind it out and the engine should start to run smoother - keep winding it out till it just starts to stumble again and then wind it back in half a turn.

After that adjust the idle to 750rpm if you can. Then reset the mixture as above. Keep trying until you are idling at 750 or cannot get the idle any lower. Boom mixture set..

The volume control srew is the mixture.

I always set them by winding it in till it stumbles or stalls then wind it out and the engine should start to run smoother - keep winding it out till it just starts to stumble again and then wind it back in half a turn.

After that adjust the idle to 750rpm if you can. Then reset the mixture as above. Keep trying until you are idling at 750 or cannot get the idle any lower. Boom mixture set..

hey mate i tried tuning the carb and the car will die if i turn mixture screw in quite a bit but it will only die/stumble if i crank it so far out if falls out then the car dies. what would cause this? i also couldnt get it to idle at 750-800 so its still at about 900-1000 depending on how it wants to behave. i also have the lame problem of it dying when i come to a stop sometimes, i tried cranking the idle up to something stupid to see if that would fix it but even with a 1700rpm idle it would still die when slowing to a stop.

i also had a crack at checking the timing with a bulb. i solder some wire to a bulb and set the pulling between the first at second notch (which it states in the manual to be between 5 and 10 degrees) but i had no idea where to hook the bulb up and a couple of fail spots i tried just kept it lit the whole time. i understand one goes to earth but where does the positive go??

edit: sorry if these seem like stupid questions, hate having a wof/reg car that you hardly drive cause it drives like shit.