4g63 sohc timing.

bmxican

Have a sneaking suspicion my carb is rooted. When you set it to 13 btc as the cam cover asks for it runs nicely idleing and sounds quite good, but soon as you put your foot down it backfires out the carb, seems to do it when the secondaries open.

Right now the only way it seems to run somewhat nicely is if i turn the dizzy a tooth and time it way off the chart. Not sure if the notch on the crank pully is out seems to be quite close when checking with a torch and someone checking it out through the spark plug hole.

It was initially timed this way (off the chart and set fully retarded and it was running quite good but seems to only pop out the carb now that the dizzy has been rotated around a few times.

Also what order do the leads go on the dizzy cap, it seems that if you have them starting at bottom left 1,3,4,2 it will be timed off the chart fully retarded or only got to 5 btc fully advanced by moving the dizzy a tooth, but if you take change the leads around to, 2,1,3,4 stating bottom left you can get it to time on the chart but it has no power and shoots flames out the carb on secondaries.

Can anyone offer some help? I'm thinking it might be the accelerator pump on the carb, in which case a nice twin carb set up would be good as it has extractors, but fuel might talk some sence into me first.

Sounds exactly what was happening to Damians Lancer when we put the 4G63 in.

To make sure you're all timed up right

1. Set the motor up to TDC
  2. With the dizzy out look on the gear for a mark and line it up with a mark on the body of the dizzy
  3. There is a mark on the slotted part of the dizzy where you lock the dizzy up. Line this mark up with the stud on the motor as you slot the dizzy in.

This should time your motor up somewhat.

The rotor should be pointing to the bottom left which is number 1 firing. And yes, the order should be 1342

Sounds exactly what was happening to Damians Lancer when we put the 4G63 in.

To make sure you're all timed up right

1. Set the motor up to TDC
  2. With the dizzy out look on the gear for a mark and line it up with a mark on the body of the dizzy
  3. There is a mark on the slotted part of the dizzy where you lock the dizzy up. Line this mark up with the stud on the motor as you slot the dizzy in.

This should time your motor up somewhat.

The rotor should be pointing to the bottom left which is number 1 firing. And yes, the order should be 1342

Thanks, was his lancer pulling something redicously off the chart and running okay though? i'm more worried about the pop in the carb when you hit secondaries.