Daves 73 Triumph 2500tc

Muncie

Hi guys just bought this Triumph recently after about 4 years without one as a project, Over the years i must of owned about 25 of them V8's mk1's mk2's mainly
27082012012.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bought from Morrinsville with suspected blown head gasket for a bloody good price no doubt some of you will know the car.
So far i sorted the overheating issue removed a shit load of old dodgy alarm wiring and given the engine a bloody good clean,
second was getting the rooted handbreak sorted and while i had wheels off i reworked the rear springs as it had raised heavy duty cobra coils in it so dropped 3" inch out of the back. pretty happy with it now Camber is at about 1 degree negative in back.
its driving mint now and i'm going to sort out inside now with some race seats in same colour while i put some coin aside for the engine got a few bits leftover from my old cars i had like front facing plenum and intercooler pipes.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/36900-daves-73-triumph-2500tc-discussion/

Tell me my old wheels looked better here^^^^^

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Few things done lately wof reg been main things Tracked down some S model goodies steering wheel and dash much more luxo.

carss043.jpg

got some new wheels for my birthday from the mrs Stoked car drives so much better bit of work to get em on front but was worth it the old 13" wheels were scary in the wet so they had to go trendy or not i take my kids in it so safety is first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got some time to attack the clearance issues i had in the front since fitting new mags. pulled struts out raised the spring perch on a spare pair i had and swapped em over.

p1010045ew.jpg

p1010044sz.jpg

The tyre was rubbing on the spring before so its way better could go to 20" wheels now..... Dont worry i'm not going too.

Oh and took three coils out of front springs still needed spring compressors to get them back in is 60mm lower now . Going to lower back a bit more after beach hop once i get adjustable swing arm mounts in.

p1010046a.jpg

Bastard thing is now i have found the front suspension has been machined slightly fucked from new causing the whole tyres rubbing issue on the front right,

Shims have it solved for now but will look for a better casting.

My old hot wires are also getting a refurb and polish up and being kept as backup wheels.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So first drive in 3months :cry: wof reg now gone due to working for a month in the south island however its only done 2500k's since last one so should fly thru. i've at least managed to sort a game plan for the car now and have started gathering some GOFAST bits this old girl is going to the track! :badgrin:

So bought this in from Rimmer Bros in england minus the oil cooler (Cheaper here)

ugfg.jpg

Eying up the race seats for the front now and have finally only got to paint the lower control arms and the power steer front end can go in complete with sway

bar. next parts on hit list is a 5 speed box i've found already setup for a triumph once that arrives i'll probably take some time off work to put it all together.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Havent done much for ages been gathering parts finally got around to making this come together. Ive been wanting to push the black on white theme a bit further so this has been my plan for a while.

Start

usy2.jpg

Step 1 Alloy Grill

u1og.th.jpgu1og.jpg

Made up some clear indicators

4w8k.jpg

Not sure on the grill badge at this stage.

• 1 month later...

Last week i finally got a couple of days under the car So the ol girl is now rocking power steer and a decent sway bar up front

Both of which were a bit of a major as i once i got the old shit unbolted and kicked to the side of the car i discovered i was both a few bolts short and had the wrong bracket to mount the power steer pump....... bit of grinding later the bracket was flipped and welded on instead being bolted on and repco had the extra bolts and belt. no major really so this work has also bought the car back up to warrant spec. i did manage to break the fuel line on one of my carbys this took as long to fix as fitting the new subframes and steering rack. the look on my wifes face the first turn of the steering wheel was hilarious after struggling for over a year to drive the heavy beast. will upload some pics soon.

• Like 2

Pictures to prove i have actually set hands on it this year. today saw another 30mm of low added to rear as front has settled heaps and it was starting to catch the number plate on things.

New subframes and sway bar and some rusty car underside

og2r.jpg

Front shot

bxy.JPG

Decided grill badge looked weird so its gone

w93a.jpg

About as low as she'll go now without major cert required work needed. i'm pretty happy with it will work on some better shots once i get the beast mobile and fix the window my kids broke today. is running a bit shit due to sitting for ages and running low on gas hoping i win a trademe auction for some jag 2" su carbys i've run these before on a 2 litre and it went bloody mental.

Tell me it looks weird here //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/36900-daves-73-triumph-2500tc-discussion/?hl=%2Bdaves+%2Btriumph

• 1 month later...

Pictureless update but a positive one spent last weekend rolling guards because with the new rack i got alot more lock and scored some sweet guardrub. SO today the old bitch got a Warrant bloody stoked cos that means all my work has paid off.

LEGAL Yus!!

• 4 weeks later...

Fuck wof reg and severley fucked head gasket just before beach hop Yay! seized just as i arrived at a job interview and radiator dropped its guts on road. after the interview she fired up again and spewed big bubbles of C02 out the rad so topped rad up retarded the timing a bit and nursed it home she got up to 3/4 temp the whole way home but ran fairly sweet whipped head off once engine was at a temp that i could work on it. good news is the bores are sweet no ugly damage and head is straight so my old man has kidnapped the cylinder head and is going to town on it and i'm going tidy up the rest of the mess. last owner had cooked it a few times and has evidently fitted the wrong head gasket (using a non reccessed block gasket) oh well she'll be well sorted after this hickup. if it dies again though she's getting a small block chev.

• 4 months later...

Long time no updates. Heads been off rebuilt with a mild port job. And new race seats fitted ready to give the old girl a track day before I build up a new motor. Been performing faultlessly apart from a hickup with some asshole putting some shit I suspect was a vodka cruiser in the petrol tank. Oh and the ignition choosing to play at same time. Been driving the shit out of it but warrant time looming I'm a little nervous.

some sweet pics

one tree hill

emoLGQ7.jpg

My new storage facility

uam55y1.jpg

Detailed to fuck....... ok clean

vXMc19Q.jpg

Race seats

DOGzJV6.jpg

So just going thru my last warrant check sheet its going to need steering rack boots looking under the old girl i think i'm going to chuck in some new lower control arms as the the boots on the ball joints are a bit sad looking. will also adjust hand break as my rebuilt rear brakes are bedded in now (only taken a year) all the wheel bearings would benifit from some grease too.

Oh and source those parts for the hypo turbo'd 2 litre and J160 box swap :)

• 2 months later...

So..... after pricing up my turbo build on the 6 cylinder i hit a block wall no one was keen to build it out of fear it wouldnt last long pistons and rods were astronomically expensive and the auto box thats in their now has just decided to give me the middle finger no more cruising dammit. whats a man to do? short answer buy a v8 for it. stay tuned 5 litres of fuel injected goodness has been bought. post-10871-0-13523100-1413879596_thumb.jpg

I also have a big soft spot for holdens v8 and this a VT engine was just to good to pass up.

I did end up buying 2 garrett turbo's for the 6 dunno if i'm brave enough to use them on the v8.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

New engine is home has been cleaned and getting prepped to drop in shit its a big unit but surprising enough there is plenty of clearance in the right places. Steering will need a fancy exhaust manifold or a set of headers may squeeze in annoyingly it would be easier to swap manifolds left to right and run it all from front..... trying to convince myself again adding turbos is not the best path here to simplify the pipework.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the old girl is gutted in the engine bay new engine has been stripped of unnecessary brackets and wiring. Oooh and scored a set of genie tri Y's which tuck right up to block on drivers side passengers side will need some fettling or a notch out of passengers footwell. Things going well will pick up the hq sump this week and sling the v8 in this weekend. Trolden holdumph either way it's 5 litres 220kw of goodness.

• 2 months later...

Todays my birthday so taken a day off to dick around in garage. For a trial fit I reckon its going well will need a HQ sump which I've sorted and maybe a few pipes shuffled on headers it actually has a heap of room around it and yes the the trans is still on the engine too and bloody fits the tunnel ! I've rolled it around the garage to check the height it'll sit at and it appears 5 or so mm higher than when I had the triumph motor in.

post-10871-0-56488100-1424215137_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

OK project is taking a detour I've finally convinced a mate to sell me his 2.5 Wagon only took 15 years it needs a lot of work but I have a hoard of parts to make it happen. V8 race seats all moving over to it should offend a lot of purists.