4g63 SOHC Balance shaft

smokey

I'm about to do the timing belt on my SOHC G63 and and was thinking about if I should replace the belt and tensioner running the top balance shaft. I have read into removing the balance shafts from my G63 and I was wondering if just removing the small belt and leaving the shaft in will do anything? Will it unbalance the engine?

that is only one of two balance shafts - the other one is driven off the back of the oil pump and with only one rotating and the other doing nothing you will experience even more vibrations than you would if you remove both the balance shafts entirely.

either replace the balance shaft belt and tensioner at the same time as doing the cam belt, or remove the balance shafts entirely.

There is no need to remove them unless its run a bearing on the balance shaft, people do remove them when doing high performance builds but even then I still wouldn't. Over the years I've heard stupid claims of up to an 18hp gain, its just bullshit.

You shouldn't really need to replace the tensioner either unless the bearing is noisey or rough running, but make sure there are no seals or rocker cover leaking as oil will fuck it in no time then it'll break and get caught up in the main timing belt.

Also try Mitsubishi for belts, I got a B/S belt for $14 for a 4g69 this morning.

• Like 1

Well, i removed them. The belt was looking pretty average and the tensioner had some noise to it so I would have replaced them if I kept the shafts. One of the bearings looked as though it had some debris in it at some point too. So, I figure it was a good option just to be away with them and not have to worry about it.

Yes, Ive heard of massive power increases from removing them, but its just one of those things I guess. Id be happy with anything bar a decrease in power or catastrophic failure.. Having the simplicity and a bit more oil pressure is a definite positive.

$14 for a drive belt? Damn, I wouldnt trust that aye.. I just got mt cam belt and tensioner from Repco. They weren't expensive after trade and should do the job fine.