Lunacys 86 Starion Track/Targa car

Lunacy

Well have had a small setback.

The guy doing my manifold, who for the meantime shall remain nameless, has for some reason done nothing about completing it in the last 5 weeks, since i paid for it.

When i picked the car up, after he used it to position everything right, he had done all of it except cutting the hole for, and welding on the wastegate pipe, welding on the wastegate flange, and completing the welding on the turbo mounting flange.

Since then ive had 5 weeks of excuses as to why it hadn't been finished. Luckily my father in law was going past his place yesterday, so i decided to just pick it up and get someeone else to finish it.

He has said he'l reimburse some of the money i paid, so i guess if that happens il just put it diwn to experience.

His work is impressive, and im stoked with what he has done, just a little disappointed he didnt finish it.

Anyways heres a few pics

DSCF0959.jpg

DSCF0960.jpg

DSCF0961.jpg

DSCF0965.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with work being full on, and being a dad, havnt done alot on the car lately.

Have nearly finished my coilovers now, just need to decide on spring rate for the rear (will probably start with 350lb). Just need assembling now.

Also bought a new gearbox off Jas, another mazda box that he had recently rebuilt.

Bought a few more bits from the states too inc a Jayracing alternator relocation kit (big thanks to Komeuppance(Robert) for shipping it to me), and a set of poly torque tube mounts.

And got a nice set of Benen Industries alloy towhooks off trademe.

Alt relocation kit

Altrelocationkit.jpg

Towhooks

Towhooks.jpg

Have also found a great contact who is local, who is going to start doing my polycarbonate windows and rear hatch shortly.

Hopefully more to come soon

Well been toiling away with lots of little jobs while our boy has been having his naps.

Had my exhaust manifold and turbo exhaust housing coated in hi temp coating, so look a heap better now and should keep alot more heat in.

Have got my intercooler mounted, radiator nearly mounted and most of the engine bay bits in place. Am running wires right left and centre now (and trying to keep them tidy).

Couple more brackets to do for the catch can etc and then once wiring is tidied up, everything comes out again and off she rolls for panel and paint.

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF0999.jpg

DSCF0996.jpg

Oh and i decided to go for larger front brakes too, so am getting wilwoods and 302mm rotors, along with a wilwood pedal box. Watch this space...

• 1 month later...

Well got my rear struts and cusco strut brace back from the powdercoaters looking all pretty. So have now assembled the struts ready to be dropped in.

And have a nice Record number 5 vice on my workbench now thanks to my darling wifey (bday pres :)

Anyway...pics

2.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

22.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest Lunacy

Well been a long time between drinks/updates :beer

Have still been busy on the car in spare moments and have managed to get a few more bits and pieces done.

I cut all my intercooler piping out, and Prozac kindly tigged it all up for me, then just bought all the joiners and clamps i needed.

Ive also fabricated brackets for the PS reservoir, and catch can and welded them on. Still need to get rid of the rest of the unwanted engine bay brackets.

Also did up the braided hoses for the catch can.

Anyways heres a couple of pics (before catch can was fitted)

Enginebay1_zpsed5d00da.jpg

Enginebay_zpsf0fd0c91.jpg

Interccolerpiping_zps50b38eab.jpg

Guest Lunacy

Well have been getting a bit more done in the spare couple of hrs i have each arvo.

Gave up on rebuilding my rear calipers (what a total PITA), so grabbed another couple off Jas (cheers man) and gave them a good cleanup, wirebrush and then coated them with POR15.

Once dry, i pulled the pistons out, cleaned up the bores, and replaced all the dust covers and seals.

Came up pretty well i think:

DSCF1070_zpsed6eac08.jpg

DSCF1069_zpsf24c4498.jpg

Also have finally finished delooming both the engine bay and interior looms. Not a very exciting update, but a very time consuming job making sure im leaving everything i need. So now the looms are alot smaller, and alot tidier. Ive retaped and covered all of them with plastic tubing.

And the best part, is when i reconnected everything up to 12v, everything works as its supposed to :)

This is what i ended up removing!

DSCF1074_zps6c1d8371.jpg

Now just need to finalise the length of all the ecu wires, then plug them into this:

CERPJSwEWkKGrHqEOKowE0flj8qYBNRYz4eD_3_zpsf253170f.jpg

Also made up a couple of brackets to keep the dash secure on the edges (as ive had to cut away alot for the rollcage)

DSCF1075_zpsef4d34da.jpg

Lastly had a alloy plate cut to fit 3 gauges where the heater controls usually go. Have mounted the oil pressure and water temp gauges, just waiting on the boost gauge to arrive from the USA.

DSCF1073_zps8d34c6ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lunacy

Well have had a productive wee arvo in the garage.

Lots of little jobs to be done at the moment, so today managed to get the drivers side fire extinguisher mounted, and fabricate the driver and passenger floorplates.

Pics tell the story.

No more spending for awhile as cat has managed to get crook overnight, so $1500 later and he's still at the vets, albeit slightly better!

Might have enough money left for food this month, we'll see haha

20130328_161435_zps7440d23d.jpg

20130328_161529_zpsdf352b75.jpg

20130328_161543_zpsc64e1829.jpg

20130328_161550_zps2cb2420e.jpg

20130328_161608_zpsc3edc33f.jpg