Lunacys 86 Starion Track/Targa car

Lunacy

Well the last few days have been alot of spending - have been buying up all the fittings for the fuel system.

So far have bought a bosch 044 pump, inline filter, heaps of speedflow fittings and braided hose.

Need to get under the car now and measure up the length of lines from rear to front of the car, then run and attach them, as well as plumbimg up the surge tank.

That should all be done by xmas at least.

Tomorrow im also picking up a spare block to use as a mock up, so i can make up brackets in engine bay for fuel reg, coil packs etc.

All the old brackets have been cut off too so starting fresh with minimal clutter hopefully in the bay when its done.

If i can get that done before new years, then engine bay can get painted while im away at work in January :)

Couple more pics

CIMG0874.jpg

CIMG0876.jpg

CIMG0878.jpg

CIMG0879.jpg

The bosch 044 is a HUGE unit compared to the Walbro!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right well back from work for another 4 weeks so strait back into getting alot sorted on the car :) Need to get into it as wife and i just bought a house so its welcome to mortgageville for us.

While i was away i managed to pick up a B2600 gearbox, a spare evo head, a Racetech seat and a battery cable :) Thanks to JAS for collecting alot of it for me.

Well today i got stuck into my struts, managed to get 1 gland nut off ok, but the other one would not budge even after bashing, heating, welding on a breaker bar etc. Suspension shop had no luck even so that one has just been chopped. Suspension place has new threaded tops to weld on so not a worry really.

So struts are all chopped now, and will mock up the top piece to weld on with these GAB inserts (same size as the mr2 ones il be using).

Also sorted out a coilover setup while i was at suspension place :)

Russell the dude in the Stocks workshop in Auckland is a legend and full of help and knowledge - big ups to him :)

DSCF0053.jpg

Also got these in the mail yesterday too :)

DSCF0055.jpg

Engine should be back by end of next week, off to be balanced on monday then assembled again and hopefully home to me by friday :)

Well engine is at balancers now, ended up having to have the crank ground which i wanted to avoid, but at least have better clearances now and has been re-nitrided so should be all good.

In the meantime ive been busy doing my struts, and painting my engine bay - pics tell the story :D

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

Yep its Fiji blue :beer :beer :beer

Well mocked up my coilovers today, should finish them tomorrow. Yay then car will almost be rolling again!!

Just gotta finalise the position of the sleeves then weld them on.

Then will dismantle them, have them stripped and powdercoated, then reassemble and onto the car they go.

They are shortened housings with rear MR2 agx inserts, mookeeh mk1 camber plates, 450lb 250mm long king springs and sleeves, nuts and billet tophats from local suspension place.

Enjoy :)

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

Well finished the coilovers today, welded the sleeves on and painted them. Very happy, cant wait to get the car rolling again :)

But will be another month or so as due back at work early next week, and off racing this wknd so not much time to do more.

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0103.jpg

Well finally back into getting some stuff done on the car now.

Finally finished scrubbing the tar/dirt/deadening off the underside of the car, and its now coated in nice new stuff :)

Had dramas with my engine build, the builder rung me and said the pistons i supplied were actually stroker ones, not standard ones :angry: I bought them after they were advertised correctly and of course said company now no longer exists :(

So basically had to order a new set so i bought some wiescos which the builder now has so just maybe il have an engine soon!

Have also bought all new tierod ends and ball joints, and have cent my centre link off to be reconditioned by a local place.

Also bought new front wheel bearings and have spent this arvo removing the old ones, cleaning all the old grease out, and wirebrushing the hubs as they were VERY rusty. They are now nicely primered :)

Started running the braided fuel line too so will finish mounting that up tomorrow.

Man thats a mouthful! So yeah been pretty busy in the last week and still have 4 more weeks off so hoping to get alot more done yet.

Heres a few pics of bits and pieces

Hubs etch primered:

DSCF0298.jpg

Few shots of the underside:

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0296.jpg

DSCF0294.jpg

DSCF0292.jpg

New pistons:

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0275.jpg

More to come soon :)

Well fuel system is nearly done, just have to put the tank back up and hook up 2 of the braided lines then give her a test for leaks :)

But spent most of today dealing to the sound deadening on the floor under the carpet.

I decided to give the dry ice trick a whirl so got 5kg from BOC this morning and man its good stuff!!!

Leaving it on the flat surfaces for ten min made it crack nicely so i could just pull the pieces off after a couple of hits with a hammer.

Upright part of back seat and all over the trans tunnel were slightly harder as the dry ice didnt wanna stay on there, so i just chucked a heap in an old sock and attached it for 15 min then moved it to the next section.

Most of it came off after a few taps with the hammer, the rest i used a very sharp chisel on.

Anyway enough talk - pics!

Dry ice in the drivers footwell

DSCF0326.jpg

After a busy arvo - much better

DSCF0334.jpg

And that was almost 9kg of deadening that came out, with the stuff on the firewall still to go.

DSCF0333.jpg

WAY easier than me trying to lose nearly 10kg :beer

Well my car is rolling again for the 1st time in ages :beer :beer

Finally finished the steering after i got my centre link back from HBI engineering in Christchurch with 2 brand new balljoints on it. Big plug to them as they did a brilliant job for a really good price.

So steering is now all in, rotors are on just need caliper brackets made up and braided hoses.

Only job to do on underside of car now is to do a shield for the braided fuel lines.

Big news number 2! I GOT MY NEW ENGINE BACK!!!

Has only taken a few months but hey - good things take time.

No pics of it yet as its all wrapped up and will stay that way until im home next leave, when il assemble the long block and timing gear, and then drop her in the big hole in my engine bay :)

Having second thoughts on the front rotors though as they seem rather small, and since im going custom brackets figure i might as well go bigger if i can find something thatl fit. Any suggestions welcome :)

Couple of pics of her out of the garage

DSCF0349.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

Well been awhile between drinks but heres the latest:

Sent my sump off to be blasted and powdercoated after i put a new oil drain onto it, which is ready to pick up in the morning.

Have installed my head onto the short block using the ARP stud kit.

Pics

Short block - very pretty :)

DSCF0395.jpg

ARP studs in

DSCF0398.jpg

3 layer mitsi headgasket on

DSCF0399.jpg

Head on and bolts all torqued up

DSCF0401.jpg

So next few days are installing everything else onto the front and rear of the block once i get the sump back.

Then just waiting on new engine mounts and in she goes :)

Oh yeah - decided that if i let my mrs choose a colour for my rollcage that she might be more inclined to let me spend $$$ on the car. So along with the rollcage, the rocker cover got the same colour treatment.

I like it, nice contrast with the fiji blue :)

DSCF0403.jpg

:beer :beer :beer More to come soon

Well didnt like the yellow colour that was supposed to be Evo 7 yellow that i originally sprayed the rocker cover.

So got it stripped, and sent it off to be done by my painter instead.

Picked it up today and much better :beer

DSCF0409.jpg

Well been awhile since i did an update, car has been coming along slowly but surely.

Have installed a new Nissan brake master cylinder.

Last week or so has been spent attaching bolt ons to long block, as well as a bit of modifying oil return on sump and few other lil things.

Have also been fiddling with a bracket for the power steering pump, as well as trying to sort out water pump pulleys and rebuilding the alternator with new bearings and brushes too. Power steer pump mount is proving to be a pain in the a$$!

Heres a pic of where im at at the mo anyway:

DSCF0604.jpg

DSCF0603.jpg

Also have finally got the brake brackets done for the Nissan 4 pot calipers im using. Will let the pics tell the story :) alot of R and D and trial and error in the brackets but im nearly happy with them :)

DSCF0599.jpg

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0601.jpg

Well am very close to getting the engine and box into the car now.

Ive fabricated up brackets for the alternator and power steering pump, as well as modifying the engine mounts to clear the CAS on the firewall.

Heres a couple of pics of the front now

DSCF0638.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg

And also got some custom brake lines made up for the front, and got some EBC yellowstuff pads too :)

DSCF0637.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

Gearbox is all cleaned up too, so just gotta seal the b2600 bellhousing and bolt the box on, after installing the fidanza and spec stage 3 clutch and then will get my exhaust manifold made up :)

Well finally got the engine and box in today - albeit temporarily. Wanted to get them in to make up the gearbox mount for the b2600 box, and also so i can take my car south and have the exhaust manifold made up.

Have decided to change the inlet to an NA one as well, for easier running of the coolant lines and less clutter, so have just begun cutting and shutting that too.

Will take the box off again once the mount is done, and install the flywheel and clutch then reinstall it.

Then can start doing all the other lil engine bay things, plus finish the brakes and get the driveshaft made up.

Few pictures

DSCF0653.jpg

DSCF0652.jpg

DSCF0651.jpg

Right well with plenty happening in other parts of my life car has been and will continue to be neglected for a long while after this weekend.

So had a bit of a play today.

Had new caliper brackets made up as decided i wasnt happy with the last ones - and got royally screwed $$ wise on them which was not overly happy about :x Wont be going back there again!

But managed to get one side all fitted up today, and will try and get other one done tomorrow, so i can get some fluid in the system and try and get at least the handbrake working for next week when im gonna trailer the car down to Huntly to have the exhaust manifold done.

Few pics anyway

DSCF0719.jpg

DSCF0726.jpg

DSCF0728.jpg

DSCF0730.jpg

Well car is back and now caged :)

Seat mounts and harness mounts are done as well.

Had to cut out part of the floor on the drivers side, where the factory muffler hump was, to get the seat mounted low enough and far enough in.

Pics :)

DSCF0835.jpg

DSCF0836.jpg

DSCF0837.jpg

DSCF0838.jpg

DSCF0842.jpg

DSCF0843.jpg

DSCF0839.jpg

Well have been super busy with our new baby lately, havnt had much of a chance to get alot done on the car.

Have managed to buy a few bits and pieces though, bought an alloy radiator and 2 x 12"electric fans.

I went to the sheetmetal shop this morning and spent this afternoon making up a custom shroud for it which has worked out well.

Radiator is a 52mm thick item that should keep her nice and cool, and fits perfectly.

Also got some 16 gauge alloy sheeting to do the doortrims with, so thats a job for the rest of the week.

Other than that, am installing everything back into the engine bay including doing all the wiring so i can see where i want to run it, and making up brackets to mount things like PS pump reservoir, fuel pressure regulator, boost solenoid, oil breather can and a few others.

Once all this is done, will strip it all out again, then send car off for engine bay and interior paint. While its away, will install timing belt and get everything set and cleaned to go back in.

Have also cut up a spare dash to fit around the cage, but decided that there is a better way, so going to find another (hopefully grey, blue or black rather than burgundy) and cut it how i like it, and install my "hairdryer demister"

Anyway will chuck a few pics up tomorrow

Well ive been doin a wee bit more lately, when the wee fulla has been sleeping.

Ive nearly finished my intercooler mounts today, so will hopefully get them done and welded on tomorrow. Then its welding up mounts for the catch can, PS reservoir and couple of other things.

Few more pics of stuff anyway

DSCF0948.jpg

DSCF0954.jpg