Lunacys 86 Starion Track/Targa car

Lunacy

Well figured its about time i put something up here, so sorry bout all the cut and pastes from austarion but way easier than rewriting everything.

Discussion: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34780

Plans at the moment are as follows:

1) Remove all rear suspension, fuel tank, subframes, diff, torque tube and sway bar. DONE

2) Have all above sand blasted and powder coated DONE

3) Replace all bushes in rear end with poly ones

4) Rebuild axles and rear callipers

5) Replace all fuel filters and lines, install walbro pump

6) Install new damper adjustable shocks and ground control coilovers

7) Full DOHC 4g63 build with 20g turbo :)

Will update progress pics as i go.

Heres the car before she went up on the stands:

100_1063.jpg

Few pics of dropping the tank:

After a bit of dust cleaned off, was a layer about half an inch thick on the top:

100_1156.jpg

Undercar with tank removed:

100_1158.jpg

Not a bad state for a 22 year old fuel filter:

100_1164.jpg

More to come soon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few more pics:

Drivers side rear hub off, gotta love those LCA bolts that are rusted in :( think i mite need new ones as mine may be a bit stuffed now :(

100_1170.jpg

These shocks are well shot, they just sank down into the strut housing when i undid the top nut :o

100_1169.jpg

Hub shot. These seem to be fine :)

100_1167.jpg

On a random note my diff was only attached to the drivers side mount; the bolt on the passenger side one was nowhere to be found and hadnt been there for awhile from the amount of filth on it. Cant have been good :(

Well the subframes out now, just gotta burn the bushings out :)

100_1171.jpg

And gotta do something with the diff and torque tube, talk about rusty on the outside!!!!

Very rare to find a LSD here too :)

100_1174.jpg

Will hopefully get the bushes burned out tomorrow and get all the bits off to the powder coaters.

On another note saw a bit of paint peeling in the passenger wheel well, so gave it a tap with a screwdriver and lo and behold a heap of filler and rust fell out so looks like il have to cut that out and weld in a new piece. :( Really need to buy a welder

Well finally got all the bushes out today and all the bits off to the powdercoaters so couple of weeks and they should be back all nice and shiny.

Professor quests guide to bush replacement is gold and definitely a good read for anyone attempting this.

Heres a couple of pics from last day or so.

Getting the crossmember bushes out - these were rusted in solid!!! took alot of heat and prying.

100_1199.jpg

Halfway thru the 2nd one

100_1201.jpg

All the bits in the boot ready to be powdercoated

100_1205.jpg

For anyone doing this a small wire brush on a drill is a essential piece of equipment for gettin the last bits of rubber out of the bush holes and for cleaning up the metal.

My new bushes (stedebani), pistons (mahle) and arp bolts showed up a few days back too so might have to get onto doing the engine soon, well as soon as i find some eagle rods for a decent price. Also have mookeehs camber plates on the cards for next payday :)

In the meantime though, will wirebrush and clean the underside of the body, and respray it with tough underbody paint.

Will update again soon :)

Well got all the subframes back from the powder coaters today and man what a difference.

Pics tell the story:

100_1225.jpg

100_1227.jpg

And heres the sleeves that ive removed all the rubber from, and then wirebrushed, primered and painted

100_1229.jpg

Next is get under the car and wirebrush and redo the underside which got on hold due to me having to do 4 days straight on my wifes car as it died :(

Well managed to get under the car yesterday and today and start sanding back the crap off the underside and unfrotunately this is what i found in the left rear wheel well:

CIMG0183.jpg

CIMG0184.jpg

CIMG0185.jpg

A heap of rust, and filler :( So thats gonna add to the bill to have all that cut out and replaced :( And puts me back a few weeks now $$$ wise :(

Plus i just quit my job so next paychecks a while away so only doing cheap little jobs for next wee while haha

Well its been awhile but just got decent paycheck so getting a bit done now.

Just got turbine and compressor wheels back from being bead blasted, polished and balanced.

CIMG0276.jpg

Also sent my twincam head off to shop to have it hardness and vacuum tested, and providing they check out ok, will have it hot tanked, skim the face, decarbonise everything, replace valve stem seals and check guides, springs and retainers.

As for cams, im eyeing up a set of billet 264s at the moment with adjustable gears :)

Have also just bought ARP head studs and new RWD water pump as well so parts are all coming together.

Well courtesy of Rad and trademe i now have these niceties for the car :) :)

CIMG0325.jpg

24mm front swaybar

CIMG0324.jpg

4 Pot alloy R32 skyline brake callipers

Was some good and bad news on the head front, hardness test came back fine, but found a bit of pitting on nearly all the exhaust valves.

So long story short, am having the valves recut, seats ground and lapped and reassembled.

At least for peace of mind will know the valves are sealing properly now.

Roll on next pay so can get the block assembly and balance done :)

Well now ive got 6 weeks off thought i beta get stuck into getting this thing done before other distractions rear there heads :)

Have ordered a set of ACL race bearings for my engine, as well as a surge tank off Jas, and thermostat housing from Wantsom.

So block will be off to the builders as soon as my package from the USA arrives with Eagle rods and front and rear camber plates in it.

Today managed to finish the back half the underside of the car - worst job ever!!!

Have removed 23 yrs of dirt/grease/tar off all surfaces, then wirebrushed and treated a little bit of surface rust, and then sprayed on new underbody paint.

Pics tell the story:

Nice and clean

CIMG0345.jpg

This stuff is horrible

CIMG0348.jpg

After coating

CIMG0351.jpg

CIMG0350.jpg

Will do another couple of coats in the morning all going well then start putting the rear suspension back together :)

• Like 1

Haha normally hate being woken up early when im on leave but when its the courier man with something cool - no complaints :)

This arrived this morn, thanks JAS :)

CIMG0353.jpg

Now just gotta buy another fuel pump as il be using the Walbro as a pickup, Bosch 044 me thinking :)

Well had quite a productive day, although doesn't look like alot done.

Started reinstalling the rear subframes, and the diff, as well as reattaching all the fuel and brake lines after cleaning up all the brackets.

Finally got the surge tank mounted, now just have to sort those lines and a pump for it.

My ACL race bearings arrived too, although am looking for a new crank now to avoid going the grinding route as il have to have it re-nitrided afterwards and have been told that can bend the crank slightly. So looks like those bearings may just go up for sale.

Few more pics:

CIMG0359.jpg

CIMG0360.jpg

Well finally found a close fit for the rear swaybar 'D' bushings today, only had to shave a little off the faces where it splits to get it perfect :)

Bought another new set of link bushings too even though other ones didnt have alot of kms on them :)

CIMG0373.jpg

CIMG0379.jpg

Also assembled my temporary rear struts too, which look gd but theyre just gonna get her rolling again until my coilovers are done :)

These were one of the last sets of KYB GR2 rears in the USA, so will be keeping them as spares, or for my widey when i finally get it :)

CIMG0368.jpg

Downer of the day was to see how badly the previous rust repairs were done on the forward part of both rear wheel arches.

Theres random patches welded all over, and then instead of grinding the welds back, they have just bogged over them - there was at least 6-7mm bog in alot of places.

And then there were rust holes filled with bog too :x:x:x

So looks like the welder will be gettin alot of use in the near future.

CIMG0372.jpg

CIMG0377.jpg

Well finally got my welder up and running with gas today so decided to start attacking the rust in the rear quarters.

By the end of the day it really doesnt look like ive made alot of progress but im getting used to the new welder now, and getting to grips with the settings.

Fabrication is definitely NOT as easy as it looks, i had 3 attempts at fabricating the new piece before i was happy with it.

Once i got it welded in, it was ok, but wasn't overly happy with the welds so after grinding them and redoing them have decided to start from scratch again 2moro as think i ground the steel back a bit much.

Frustrating = YES

But good learning experience none the less, as this is the first time ive done anything like this :)

Heres where its at now:

CIMG0385.jpg

Don't mind the holes :) Bit too much current on the welder.

CIMG0384.jpg

Oh and this arrived this morning too :)

Twincam thermostat adaptor :)

CIMG0388.jpg

Well have now finished welding in new pieces into the front part of both rear quarters, and have ground both back and put a coat of filler over them.

The 2nd one was definitely easier than the 1st, i think due to taking alot more care cutting the new piece - only took 1 attempt to cut it and weld it right.

Hardest thing i found for anyone who is wondering, was welding the inner guard to the new piece as its a tight spot to get the mig handpiece in to.

Suffice to say there is ALOT of weld in there but its gonna be solid as :)

So tomorrow will be block sanding the filler back, refilling it, sanding it back until its nice and smooth and ready to prime.

Few more pics

CIMG0405.jpg

Tacked

CIMG0413.jpg

Filled

CIMG0410.jpg

Well while the touch up filler was drying got into cleaning up and repainting my hubs.

Very slow process sanding back each layer of filler trying to get it perfectly smooth and straight.

At least hubs came out nice. Also got 3 out of 4 temporary mounts on my racepro seat done too so at least can sit in it now :)

Heres the hubs, all going well she will be rolling by wed arvo :)

CIMG0475.jpg

CIMG0474.jpg

Well have one spot left the size of a fingernail left to sand now then rear quarter bodywork is done.

Got drivers side rear suspension in yesterday, albeit only loosely mounted the disc and calliper as discs wil be replaced, and calliper rebuilt, and looks a million times better. Hopefully should perform better too :)

So today i got to stripping everything out of the interior that im not gonna need - so thats pretty much the lot haha. Was about 5 miles of stereo wires too most that werent in use. Gonna be some gd weight savings :) Pics tell the story:

CIMG0657.jpg

CIMG0659.jpg

CIMG0663.jpg

Well been awhile as wife an I have just spent 2 weeks on our honeymoon in Thailand, so finally got back into the shed yesterday.

Its time for old SOHC 4g63t to come out in preparation for the new DOHC one to go in :)

New engine bits will be off to the builders as soon as my new clutch and flywheel insert arrive, so i can have it all balanced properly.

Basic rundown on the engine is:

Starion 4g63 block, bored, decked, crack tested and painted

Mahle oversize forged pistons

Eagle forged rods

Arp head and main bolts

ACL race main and rod bearings

Polished and modified crank

4 Layer metal Mitsi OEM head gasket

BSE and modified oil pump

New tensioners, timing belt and idlers

Fidanza flywheel

Spec stage 3 clutch

Standard rebuilt head (just to get her up and running :)

Modified DSM cyclone inlet manifold, Ford TB and yet to be decided injectors.

Custom topmount exhaust manifold

TD05 20g MHI turbo

EMS Stinger ECU

While the engine bays empty, will be cutting off all mounts that i wont be needing, filling holes that wont be used, before priming and painting the engine bay.

Heres a few pics of the stripdown:

CIMG0810.jpg

Starting to get it all out

CIMG0814.jpg

All sorts of buildup in the thermostat housing

CIMG0818.jpg

Parts everywhere :)

CIMG0819.jpg

Gearbox, struts, mounts, lights all out - only steering and engine left

More to come soon :) (pics of all my new bits :)

Well last minute update before i go back to sea for the last trip of the year.

Engine bay is totally bare, ready for sanding and painting.

Am just waiting for my flywheel insert to arrive from Australia, before all the engine parts go to the builders (hopefully tomorrow morn before i leave for work :) )

Everything else is boxed up and ready to go.

Spent the last week down south and did a wee bit of shopping:

Spec stage 3 clutch

Tial 38mm External Wastegate

BSE kit

Mitsi OEM Metal headgasket

New flywheel bolts

Crank spacer to eliminate balance shaft cog

Racepro bonnet pins

Also got all my front subframes and brackets back from the powder coaters which look just as good as the rear ones i had done earlier.

So fingers crossed should have a new engine ready to go in after the next 4 weeks at work.

CIMG0849.jpg

:beer :beer :beer

Well engine is at the builders as of yesterday so all going well will be done in a couple of weeks :)

Flywheel insert arrived ok, and also been splurging on a few other new bits.

Bought a vr4 loom to strip down to the bare essentials, that plugs strait into my EMS ecu.

Also bought an OBX lightweight crank pulley, as my harmonic dampner was well stuffed.

And a Sard fuel regulator :)

And won a set of near new RC 750cc low impedance injectors yesterday on ebay for a very good price last night.

and last but not least, a set of 3.90 gears for my LSD :)

Oh and a Mazda B2600 bellhousing haha yeah spent far too much lately!!!

Have managed to do a few things at work too.

Have stripped down and overhauled one of my 4 pot callipers, and rebuilt it with a full new seal kit. Hopefully gonna get the other one done in next day or so.

Also stripped down my rocker cover ready for breather mods, and paint.

Have my front suspension arms on the ship too to burn the bushings out of since a certain suspension shop in Auckland managed to completely stuff the ones i sent them to have the bushings removed :glare:

Couple of pics:

Brake calliper after rebuild

CIMG0852.jpg

CIMG0853.jpg

Stripped rocker cover

CIMG0854.jpg

FPR and crank pulley

CIMG0851.jpg

More to come soon.