Good workable thickness of steel?

anglia4

What is a good thickness of steel for making the tail section/cafe racer seat for my bike?

Needs to be easy to shape by hand and with hammer and dolly, also want to cut it with tin-snips and have it thick enough to weld. I'm going to be re-inforcing it with probably about 5mm round bar to get the shape I want.

Holly shit 1.6 steel are you Spartacus?

I couldn't tin snip through 1.6 steel and ive been using tin snips most days for about 6 years

Some people use .8 if there not going to be hammer and filing there work I prefer 1mm and 1.2 would be the absolute maximum I would ever reccomend.

as far as welding goes people weld .8 no problem.

The workshop im in atm we use 1mm pretty much for everything - as said above the stuff we use zinc coated but this is the first place ive been that uses it...

I thought 1.6 sounded a little heavy but thought I was wrong. I think I have been using 1.2 on my anglia (could be 1.6), its much heavier than what I want to use for this, I have to cut it with a grinder and can't really bend it by hand.

Might have a go at 1mm, That way if I'm griding down high spots on my welds I shouldn't go through it quite as easy.