Voltage drop at the coil

cordiagsr

VOLT DROP AT THE COIL!!!!

Only 9V at the coil but after changing to new battery took it up to 11.6V I found the alarm was causing the volt drop so bypassed it and then had 12V at the coil. Then found that even the fuel pump when turned on did the same thing, anything lights, wipers etc would give a slight volt drop from 12.2V to around 11.6V at the coil. Car will not start not even try but as soon as I put 12V straight to the coil starts. would like to find the problem rather than run a new feed. My question is what voltage should you have at the coil when the car is running? Any ideas what might cause this volt drop?

Car is a Cordia Turbo 4G62T

Thanks for any help

Voltage drop is normally cause by age and added resistance in old wires from what i know, you could look at running a relay system from ignition switch to the coil rather than new feed.

Most cars should have 12v at the coil while running unless they run a ballast resistor in that case, when cranking(key in start position) coil gets 12 v and then drops to 6v (normally) once the key is in the on position by running through the resistor.

as above - the coil is not meant to run at a constant 12V as it will burn it out in no time.

your problem is most likely the knock control box (aka the E101) on the firewall. Usually it's dry solder joints inside. Try tapping it and seeing if it momentarily fixes it.