Beavers triumph 2000 wagon

Beaver

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

balanced/tuned the carbs today, they were way out. runs nicer now. exhaust has so many leaks in it....sounds like a fucking air compressor.

did some hunting to try find the source of fumes. petrol tank seems to have a leak of some sort as it smells of gas on one side (keep in mind it is just under a piece of ply in the boot, so stinks out the cabin). might pull it out one day and see what I can find.

combined with holes in exhaust and holes in floor/boot, makes a noxious chemical cocktail for the nostrils

• 2 weeks later...

been doing a few odd jobs lately, mainly focused around trying to reduce the accumulation of fumes in the car.

got a dinky exhaust tip from repco to extend the exhaust past the back of the car (was on sale and does the job so cant complain)

added hose clamps to all/most fuel lines and breather hoses in the engine bay.

replaced missing nuts and butterfly tabs on the exhaust manifold (thanks to the trump at pick a part).

found a horrendous crack/break at one of the joints on the exhaust (had been welded up) which was caused by the last 1500mm or so of the exhaust not being attached to the car in anyway. was also a hole I could nearly fit my finger/diddle in. so added some metal epoxy and maniseal to the join and then made an exhaust hanger or of wire. jeah, full ghetto spec.

all in all it doesnt sounds like an air compressor anymore, but it still stinks in the cabin (not as bad). toyed with the idea of getting the whole exhaust remade (excluding manifold) as its all fuckign shit house but that costs money.

next job is to repaint steels, will hit up bunnings for some form of brown/bronze this weekend.

oh, and I want centre caps for the steels, any ideas where to get some?

discussion viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31559&start=100

turns out the fuel tank was leaking. lols. pulled it out and cant find where from (there are a couple of fittings etc in the area it was leaking from so no doubt one of those, will pull apart and clean/add hose clamps etc and hope it stops leaking.

I put water in the tank and left for a couple of hours to see if I could see a leak, but no luck. any other way to test for leaks/find leaks?

There was petrol sitting on the floor and had soakd into all the filth so it was definitly leaking. I suspect if was from where the fule line attached as it looked a bit shitty and slightly damp

• 2 weeks later...

As winter approaches, figured it was about time to look into why the heater and the fan weren't working.

Had a dig around and got the fan to work (only on one speed though : low) and while I was in under the dash wired up the 12v socket as well.

Heater tap is jammed shut, so will dewater it and remove for inspection/cleaning/replacement.

Mildly excited about heat and fan tbh.

have ever been 100% happy with the black wheels so painted them this morning. Have put a fair bit of thought into colours and settled on bronze. Yet to have it out of the shed to get a better look at it but so far im happy. Adds a touch more class then matt black and looks more purposefull

IMG_0604_edit_tn.jpg

IMG_0608_edit_tn.jpg

IMG_0613_edit_tn.jpg

took me 30mins and $15 of paint so pretty happy haha

• 2 weeks later...

Spent two nights away with the Mrs and I sleeping in the back. Passed the test which is nice.

Keep having thoughts about fixing the rust and giving it a respray. sick of it looking like a heap of shit. It needs a warrant in a month or so so will see what the damage is then.

Also still no happy with the steels. thinking about ditching them....bank account says otherwsie though.

No pictures cause the weather was shit all weekend. hah.

got some sweet hupcaps of a mk1 to fit the standard wheels (nice little ones, not full face). came up fucking sweet with a polish (pics tonight).

so am thinking widened factory steels, probably 13x7, and then black/dark silver with these chrome hubcaps. I talked to elite and they can get new 13x7 bands for 60+gst, and then Howat up here could cut out my centres and weld them in. However the howat dude said that its hard to find the same size bands so my centres may not fit. it would be 60 per outer (+GST + freight from CHCH) + 40 for cutting and welding each centre, compared to 80 each for simply widening the original ones. So think ill just got with that

have decided that regardless of the colour ill never be happy with the steels that are on there now.

more useless updates!!

raided the triumph at pickapart for the millionth time, got front struts for wof haha. now have a full set of spare wof struts and rear springs.

also found a set of stainless bueaty ringsso thought why not. a bit rough around the edges but for $20 Im not complaining.

had a wee play with a couple of paint colours I had sitting around. I rekon thy look sweet. much more suited to the car (and will be 10000x better once a few inches have been added in)

IMG_0793_tn.jpg

IMG_0794_tn.jpg

IMG_0795_tn.jpg

IMG_0796_tn.jpg

IMG_0798_tn.jpg

plan is to save up a bit of cash to get them widened and get some suitable tyres.

super productive day. in anticipation for upcoming wof I worked on a few things which needed attending to.

swapped out springs/struts for standard spec. lol worthy height for the win. painted all factory steels black and fitted beauty rings and centre caps and biffed those on.

also replaced steeing clolumn as it was fucked. fucking cunty job and had no idea what I was doing. ended up fucking the firewall bush that holds the column (its was all brittle and I touched it and it exploeded) so need to track down one of them. hopefully i can fit it with minimal removal of column as it takes aaaaages.

also found some rust/holes which is a bit stink. some on the bottom of the sill (a few ~5mm holes which get bigger when you touch them) and a hole in one of the chasis outrigger. I would imagine these will need fixing/hiding before wof.

big thanks to matt/rx30 for supplying and fitting some tyres. white walls looks super lush! (only on one side of the car but all good haha)

is jacked back up for wof. such a pleasure to drive! was scary how much differece there is between the 205/50s that came off and the 155s that are on now haha

(excuse the grainy pics, had iso maxed cause I couldnt be assed trying to hold the camera still lol)

IMG_0806_tn.jpg

IMG_0807_tn.jpg

IMG_0809_tn.jpg

IMG_0810_tn.jpg

IMG_0813_tn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

took for a wof last week, failed on a few things.

so $400 later I have a fully rebuilt steering rack, new steering shaft and universals to install. also need some work on exhaust done to fix leaks.

question time,

Il have to remove the tie rod ends/outer ball joint thingys and swap them over to the new rack. they thred on so obviusly are adjustable. would it be OK to just measure the distance from a datum (on the old rack somewhere) and then just make sure they are on the same place on the new rack? cbf'd getting an allignment done if I can help it

productive night, new steering rack, steering shaft and UJs all in.

was expecting super obvious fuckedness of pld rack but it didnt seem bad at all so a little bit stumped. ah well, hopefully new stuff does the trick.

will book car in for exhaust work later this week hopefully and recheck early next week.

new exhaust done yesterday, wof achieved today!

more stupid pictureless updates!

also its been 6 months since I brought it so time to sell (If you konw me this will make sense....)

but seriuosly, if anyone is interested let me know. Not 100% sure at this stage but I only ever got it becasue its a fucking triumph wagon, but it didnt actually meet any of my criteria lol.

fire away!