Beaver

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

righto. mission sucsessful.

flew to dunedin saturday morning and they dude met me at the airport. jumped in and headed north. filled up with gas and checked oil and fluids etc on the way out of town and was good to go.

stayed the night in christchurch, had beers with some of the chch fellas (cheers guys). got drunk at mates going away party, went to bed at 2am on floor). up at 7 topped up tank and headed for the ferry on sunday. got 30km from kaikoura and somethign wasnt right. pulled over and found that front left tyre had decided being round was over rated and it much prefered being oval shapped. had to empty a wagons worth a car parts on the side of road to get to spare.......its flat. woops, my bad, probably should have checked that.....

so hitched 30km into kaikoura, pumped it up and hitched back to car. slapped wheel on and set off for picton. missed the 2pm sailing so had to get one the 7pm one. didnt get home till after 11. then had a 645am flight to chch this mroning and drove to tekapo and back then flew back to wellyy (for work).

im fucked/walking zombie.

but enough of that shit. car is fucking boss. a bit/quite rough around the edges but essentially fairly solid. engine is strong, hums along and has good pep. had no troubles carting a boot load. was pretty sweet on gas too, 40L from dunedin to christchurch. people were blowing their loads all over it. pie/red bull/petrol stops took half an hour as I had to fend off all the piners

paint job is pretty shit but itl do, came with a tiny bit of left over paint so may be able to do bonnet/probably not enough. has a heap of bits with it, inclulding a bunch of NOS panels which is sweet. might sell them if they are worth anything......

discussion viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31559

pics.

DSCF7589.jpg

DSCF7591.jpg

DSCF7595.jpg

DSCF7598.jpg

DSCF7600.jpg

DSCF7606.jpg

had a chance to actually empty this thing out today and have a better look at it.

still grinning ear to ear whenever I see it haha.

so far no major nasties, a bit of rust here and there but nothing major. took the mrs out to the movies in it last night and she approves.

needs a few interior bits tidying up which will probably be the first to do (few rattles and looses panels etc). needs some form of music playing device also as original radio doesnt work/wont cut it even when it does work.

thought it had spare paint but was just empty tin so might see if I can get some more made up (it was colour matched) to do the bonnet. the paint job is very average but I dont think I care enough to it again/get it done again. one day.

gave it a good going over and clean today. found some bog, nothing major but one of the doors looks likes its hiding rust at the bottom. meh, ill deal with it when the time comes. also found some rust and some patches on one of the chassis outrigers. again, will deal with that when the time comes.

found a stash of receipts in the glove box and its had new rear brake cylinders and shoes, new headlights, some bulb holders replaced, new sway bar bushes, oil change and new filter in November last year, radiator flush and fill, abrake and clutch hydraulics flushed.

also did the tappets, fucking purrs now, was rather tappety tap tap when I got it.

next on the list is sounds and tidy up the boot (came with some spare vinyl so will see what I can do)

put a headunit and some speakers in today. boxed speakers in the boot for easy removal (and not cutting up panels etc). temporarily hidden under a blanket until I get a suitcase and create a little enclosure thingy.

and since we all love pics

5 stud hubcaps (car is only 4 stud lol) which are optional extras

DSCF7624.jpg

managed to salvage some stickers off the red one before it went to its new owner

DSCF7625.jpg

rear quarterlite windows!!

DSCF7631.jpg

few interior snaps

DSCF7628.jpg

DSCF7629.jpg

new steering wheel (off a 2500, nicer then the original seen it photo above)

DSCF7634.jpg

and blanket/speaker cover as mentioned above. looks a damn site better then filthy boxed 6x9s sitting in the back

DSCF7632.jpg

as per spam...

fuck. was hooning down motor way in triumph and hubcap came flying off and took the tyre valve with it. instant flat tyre at 100km/h. had to cross 2 lanes and one merging lane to get to the median strip on the side.

no spare tyre as I had already fucked a tyre driving the car home when I brought it. got mate at home to bring me one of my collection from the garage. went to fit it, bam, forgot it needed different wheel nuts. tried to do them up tight anyway, got 100m down the road before they came loose. got a ride home to grab other wheel nuts.

fuck. and I couldnt find the hubcap.

oh a brighter note, bidding on some tyres for wide steels tonight, and dropped one at the engineers to get fixed. hopefully next weekend can get them fitted up

got my productivity hat on today/this week. brought tyres last night and got them fitted up to three of the wheels this morning (last wheel is at engineers getting repaired).

ended up with 205/50/15s, got them cheap enough and they are that same rolling diam as the 13s that are on there now. had a quick test fit, looks like everything is going to fit sweet, just needs to be lowered asap haha.

unfortunatly 2 of the rims leak so they will have to go back to the engineers as well. rather tedious.

so yeh, quick teaser pics (as above, needs lowering! will do it when the wheels are ready to go on/tomorrow if the mrs is still sick in bed)

DSCF7640-1.jpg

DSCF7645.jpg

DSCF7644.jpg

DSCF7641.jpg

DSCF7648.jpg

got sick of blue/yellow bonnet so an hour or so and $15 dollers later.....

DSCF7649.jpg

looks alot better from 5m away haha. also did a few little thigns like tighen up the gbox x-member (two nuts were loose as), hook up the intake hoses to the air intake, and replaced the servo-master seal as is was leaking. car seems ti run better no without the vacuum leak as well.

urgh, motivation is zero.

fuel pump leaks like a fucking sieve and am having issues getting a new seal. battery died while I was away. still waiting for wheels/havnt had time to see if they are done.

pretty much zero time available to sort shit out for nats, not fun.

• 3 weeks later...

tame pictureless update.

Now have three non-leaky steels, one is still at the shop, hopefully done by the end of this week. fitted two on the back, look sweet and no clearance issues. fitted on up front (with 10mm spacer made my manu/steelies engineering, top work) and again, fits perfect. only issue is the wheel studs are not rather short.....will have a closer look tonight but I think im going to need longer studs.

welly boes, any advice on where to go to get studs? am going to try some rear studs as they are longer but I think they are a different shape/design so may not work.

also took out the stupid 90 degree bend it had at the back of the exhaust so it no just runs straight out the back (used baked beans can and a clamp instead of welding cause im a boss/cant weld)

new battery, starts like a champ now.

so yeh, to be done before nats

-get wheel back from shop

-see if longer studs are needed

-if so, get.

-take out rubber spacers/insulators from back springs to bring rear down to match front

think thats it (famous last words)

right first off, huuuuuuuuuuuge thanks to KK for helping me out today, honestly could not have done it without his help.

jobs for today was drill out hubs and spacers to suit new longer wheel studs, and then fit studs. Due to the length of the knurled section, the spacers are actually also pressed onto the studs which is a little extra piece of mind.

fitted up wheels, fully stoked with how it looks. final wheel specs are 8.5" on the back and 8" on the front with 205/50/15s all around.

few pics

hubs off

DSCF7892.jpg

back together with new studs and spacers (thanks to manu!!)

DSCF7891-1.jpg

and finished product

DSCF7893.jpg

DSCF7894.jpg

DSCF7896.jpg

DSCF7897.jpg

had a spare grill so out came the satty b.....

DSCF7902.jpg

looks heaps better, ties in with the wheels better as well. always thought the silver 2000 grill looked like one of thos billet grills try hard weiners would put on there minitrucks etc

oh and I had to have three goes at gettign out of the garage this arvo....exhaust was digging a new path through the driveway....

there is a muffler right where the exhaust crosses under the driveshaft (which is the ooffending point) so will get it shifted to the back of the car to give a bit more clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

survived nats pretty much without a hitch which was nice, drove like a boss even with 3/4 up and a boot load. those who were fortunate/unfortunate enough to get locked in will know all well about the noxious fumes it generates so thats on the cards to sort out. otherwise no dramas. broke the seal and slept in it one night, woke up every so often thinking I was about to die from petrol fumes.....managed to make it through the night though.

not 100% sold on the steels, a bit weak sauce imo. not enough room to get mega dish etc so kinda looks a bit tame. will do for now.

few pics (thanks to durty)

SAM_2025.jpg

SAM_2164.jpg