mitsubishi oil filter housing conundrum

be4ver

right, for my 4g63t engine im currently tickling up for rwd i brought this rwd oil filter housing which was supposed to fit the engine to make oil changes a breeze BUT i doesn't fit, the bolt holes are ever so slightly different....

the lower one is the rwd one, its apparently from a starion? (brought from trademe)

dsc02336m.jpg

the first question is, does anyone know if this is actually a starion one? and if it is, does it not work on the rvr model of 4g63t? as i've been told they do fit on

failing this i thought i could use the original one still if i pull this dough nut thing off as it will probably allow the filter to squeze on/off past the engine mount. I will just have to cut this bit of threaded pipe down and find a nut to lock it to the housing

as seen here;

dsc02337i.jpg

dsc02338m.jpg

dsc02339mu.jpg

Second question, do i need the doughnut thingo? or will it be fine with out it? it seems to be some kind of oil cooling thing. the pipes off it had coolant going through them.

and thirdly, will the two allen key plug things seen on the last picture be able to be removed and an external oil cooler used?

cheers in advance for the wisdom!

It's definitely a RWD oil filter housing but the Starion one will have provisions for the external oil cooler which is on the only side which is not pictured above..

I know the Starion one will bolt up to the 6-bolt bottom end DOHC engines, unsure about the 7-bolt Evo/RVR engines. You could just find an Evo oil filter housing if you can't cut down that threaded pipe.

You could also try drilling out the holes by 1-2mm to make up for the spacing differences.

there are no provisions for an oil cooler on the rwd housing i got :| which tells me its probably off something else.

did think of drilling holes out but they are a bit more than 1-2mm out, more like 3-4mm would get a bit dodgy i think

do the evo oil filters not have the cooling ring thing on them?

evos (and VR-4s) have air cooled oil coolers just like the Starions. Only the RVR turbo (and US/AU VR-4s) seem to have the water cooled oil cooler. If that RWD housing doesn't have two large 18mm ish threaded holes then it's not from a Starion or something turbo. I'm not sure if a Starion one will have the same spacing as the Evo or the N/A RWD one.

crap, i thought some starions had them ^^^ and some had the others.

thats extra gay cos this one has been on trademe since i brought that other one. 150 seemed a tad pricey at the time tho. the other one was only 50 so i just got it thinking who needs an oil cooler anyway! haha.

but is this one likely to mount the same as the one i've got already? it should fit right?and that one i've got now must just be some bung thing off like an l200 or something 4g53?

L200 4G63 will be the same one you have now.. ie from a RWD Sigma or similar. 4G53 (assume you mean 4G52 or 4G54) don't have oil filter housings because the oil filter mounts straight to the block under the exhaust manifold. You definitely have a Sirius family RWD oil filter housing from a Sigma or L200 etc, but am unsure if the difference is between the N/A housing and the Starion/Turbo housing, or difference between both RWD and Starion/Turbo housing and the later RVR/Evo 7-bolt housing.

given that people haven't had issues putting the Starion housing on the VR-4 engines when going RWD, I would say the issue lies with putting the 6-bolt housing (be it RWD Sigma, Starion turbo or VR-4) onto the 7-bolt oil pump housing. The 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines do have a slightly different shape oil pump/front cover under the crank where it meets the sump, and the oil pump gears are different too.

Perhaps you will just have to check for clearance to the crossmember using an Evo1-3 oil filter housing or the RVR housing with the water cooled oil cooler removed and tube cut down.

Another option I just thought about, why not try using the Evo4+ housing like this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 367605.htm

It looks like it points the oil filter straight down much like the Starion one just not on an angle - and given the Evo4+ engines are 7-bolt it's probably the same as Evo1-3/RVR bolt pattern rather than earlier Starion/Sigma/VR-4.

I know the seller 'carshark' and can give you his details if you like.

given that people haven't had issues putting the Starion housing on the VR-4 engines when going RWD, I would say the issue lies with putting the 6-bolt housing (be it RWD Sigma, Starion turbo or VR-4) onto the 7-bolt oil pump housing...

Quote for truth. Have seen this first hand, and it'll be your problem. An Evo, or similar 7 bolt engine oil filter housing wont work in your situation?